Soldering female header pins on top

Hi everyone,

I want to solder female header pins and IC header on my board, but this board is double sided, so how to solder properly to get connections between top traces and header pins? Maybe, someone know tutorial in Youtube and would like to share link? :P

I want to solder female header pins and IC header on my board,

What board?

but this board is double sided,

Does it have plated through holes? If so simply solder the side you can get at. If not then you have to solder on both sides.

By the way if they are female then they do not have pins.

My board looks like that:

I meant endings of these headers(pins). :D

My board looks like that:

Does it have plated through holes?

Does your board have “plated thru holes”?
If not, leave a gap under the header large enough for a small tip. Solder the bottoms first, then reflow the top.
Or perhaps put in these Pin Receptacles, solder the header to them.
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=474

It has some thru-holes. I was thinking of making more, but it would make my board much more complicated. If I would use reflow soldering, wouldn't plastic melt?

Making this board at home with toner, etchant, etc?

It has some thru-holes. I was thinking of making more, but it would make my board much more complicated.

Those two statements are contradictory, using plated through holes makes the layout simpler. Do you know what plated through holes means?

Yeah it is homemade board. Plated thru-holes - Via's? :D

If it is a home made board making the Vias plated through hole is not worth the effort because you can simply solder a wire on both sides through the hole. Where you need them is under components you can not get to on both sides, like headers.

As a point of interest how are you plating through the holes?

Plated-through holes are not trivial to make, as it involves depositing a conducting layer onto bare FR4 in the holes and then plating. If you solder a wire via then you don't have a hole any more.

You can get surface mount female headers I believe, they may be easier to work with.

To make Via, I cut little piece of header pin and plant it in Via then I solder both sides. I think it is an easiest way.

Excester: To make Via, I cut little piece of header pin and plant it in Via then I solder both sides. I think it is an easiest way.

But that is not a plated through hole is it.

Grumpy_Mike: By the way if they are female then they do not have pins.

Female headers are only female on one end of the pin.

If you want the headers to sit flat, then add via next to each pin so you can connect top & bottom traces to allow the header pins on the bottom to connect to a trace on top.

As I said I don't want this method because it will make my board more complicated, there should be easier method. In example Arduino has headers which are soldered in both sides.

In example Arduino has headers which are soldered in both sides.

Yes but that board HAS plated through holes.

A plated through hole is a hole where the sides are conductive metal. Therefore you only need to solder one side to make a connection to the top.

The simplest way is those pins that crossroads posted in his first reply.

Damn, I didn’t realized what he said, now I understand. Thanks I will try it. :slight_smile: As I understand I can use this method to make what I want: http://www.instructables.com/id/Inexpensive-method-of-industrial-level-quality-PCB/step3/Activating-the-board-surface/ .

If you want the headers to sit flat, then add via next to each pin so you can connect top & bottom traces to allow the header pins on the bottom to connect to a trace on top.

Good idea, that means you have to plan ahead. . .

I sometimes use stripped wire wrap wire (30 AWG) with holes that cannot be easily accessed. I solder the wire to the top and bottom traces away form the pads, then add the component (ex: relays) and solder the bottom pad completely. This way the bottom pad is connected to the top trace by way of the wire wrap wire. (hope that makes sense)

I think Mark's idea bears repeating: Surface mount headers have pins the are L-shaped, and branch out to either side of the header, where they can be soldered to accessible pads on the same surface. The downside of this, of course, is that now all your traces have to be on the top side -- else you're back to vias again.