Some motor and control advice

Hi All

I am new to the Arduino community and just new to programming.

I am a model maker and looking to add some motion into some of my models, I have an UNO, a Mega and some Nanos that I got cheap off ebay to have a play with.

What I want to do is add 4 Servos and 4 Stepper motors to one of the above but as you can tell I have no idea how to do it, the Steppers will be NEMA 14 stepper motors with either A3967 Stepper Motor Drivers or DRV8825 Stepper Motor Drivers and the Servos will be SG90 Micro Servos, these will basically be for turret rotation and elevation.

So looking for advice on how to hook these up and maybe some programming examples.

Also instead of using full RC gear would it be possible to use a wireless XBOX Gamepad as a controller?

Cheers

MM

All good ideas. Have fun!

The limiting factor is going to be the power supply. Servos and steppers need lots of amps. If your models will fit regular RC batteries then use those.

These links may help
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

...R

@MorganS

Power supply wont be an issue, my current model I am working on is 2.5m long, I can almost fit a car battery in the thing, haha Also as this will be display models only I am also considering just a standard Power Supply instead of batteries. I do have 2 spare 11.1v 7800mAh laptop batteries that are spare I am thinking of using, I can easily charge these with the laptop that they were bought for.

@Robin2

I seen your links after browsing the forums further and have given them a read, I will get time to experiment this weekend and will have a go at your code.

The servos will need 6V or so at about 4A (small servos, more for high-torque or larger models).

The stepper drivers will run from 12V, 24V, or more, not very critical, higher voltage gives higher
top speed. Make sure your steppers are low-impedance bipolar (0.5 to 5 ohms kind of
range), then you won't be starved of voltage overhead. NEMA14's will typically use 2W or so
I think, so from 12V each will need 0.25A or so quiescent to its driver, allowing for some conversion
loss in the drivers.

Note that the drivers need to be set to provide the right current to the motors, and that the current
they give to the motor is different from the current they take from their supply.