Switch with physical and electronic control

Hi guys

Apologies if this topic has been covered somewhere else, but I just couldn't find it (In the forum or on Google)

I'm fairly new to the world of Arduino and electronics, so this is probably a N00B question. I'm looking for a switch that can be 'flipped' both physically and electronically. I'm looking for something like a wall switch which can be 'flipped' electronically. I'm sure a component like this must exist but what is it called?

Thanks

Smart wall switch? https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=smart+wall+switch&gbv=2&oq=smart+wall&gs_l=heirloom-hp.1.6.0l2j0i10j0l4j0i10j0l2.1200.2480.0.7490.10.9.0.1.1.0.230.1230.0j7j1.8.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..1.9.1240.wb34aUKRCcI

Or perhaps just https://www.google.com/search?q=smart+wall+switch XD

Typically, you are not going to physically move a switch electronically or remotely... The "real switch" is going to be a relay that's controlled by pushing/moving a switch or under software/automatic control. Once you've got a relay connected to a microcontroller, any number of things can control it!

So, now we need to think about the logic... Usually, you don't want to use a regular toggle switch because the toggle switch may be in the on position after the microcontroller has turned it off (or vice-versa).

One option is to have an "on" button and an "off" button (momentary switches). Or, you can find momentary center-off toggle switches that spring-back to the center.

Or, you can have a single momentary button that the software senses and toggles (changes state) every time you press it.

Or, you can create an "or condition" arrangement, where either the switch or microcontroller can turn the relay on, and unless both are off, the relay stays on.

Or, you can use a toggle switch that works like a "3-Way" switch in a house... Sometimes up is on, and sometimes up is off, depending of the state of the other switch (r the state of the microcontroller). That can be done in software so you don't need a double-pole switch like you'd use for a 3-way light switch.)

DVDdoug: The "real switch" is going to be a relay that's controlled by pushing/moving a switch or under software/automatic control. Once you've got a relay connected to a microcontroller, any number of things can control it!

But in practice, we are generally going to be using "solid-state relays" - SSRs. Essentially what is incorporated in the previous link.

I joined specifically to ask this question as well. I am looking for a switch similar to the z-wave controlled switches (Wi-Fi and manual) but I need a non-WiFi version. I want to control it over a wired network not a wifi one.

I have a Jasco 45609 Z-Wave Wireless switch I intend to disassemble and try to modify with some leads but if there is an off the shelf version then I'd prefer to go that way.

I'm also looking at a traditional 3-way switch with a relay being the other switch in the circuit. Not sure if that will work.

Thanks Executnr

OP appears to be talking about a mains switch (lighting - power) which can continue to be used even when your arduino code fails or it breaks, aka "spouse / granny friendly".

Yes LightwaveRF and Z-wave do wireless ones but I'd also like to know about wired signal versions of consumer mains switches.

Frankly I was at one point tempted to arduino-up a servo and couple it to the inside of a physical dimmer switch. Back-box size permitting this would be cheap and even almost vaguely safe ...

hazymat: Frankly I was at one point tempted to Arduino-up a servo and couple it to the inside of a physical dimmer switch. Back-box size permitting this would be cheap and even almost vaguely safe ...

That would be rather cool/ spooky.

Like the "pro" mixer panels on which the sliders reconfigure all by themselves.