Tore apart old scanner/printer, have motors and need advice on driving them

Hi all,

I'm about to undertake my first project. It's primarily stepper motor driven. I needed steppers, belt driven sliders and other parts that the printer/scanner was full of, so i've pulled it apart, got myself 2 x stepper motors, the pulleys, gears, all the bits, am very happy with the collection.

I've started designing the prototype in 3d software (blender) to match the exact size of these motors and pulleys etc. These will then be 3d printed. Before I head too far into the 3d design though, I need to make sure the steppers are compatible with the arduino.

I also purchased an arduino UNO R3 starter kit ( http://www.adafruit.com/products/68 ) as well as their stepper motor shield ( http://www.adafruit.com/products/81 ).

So the question I guess would be, will this shield work with ANY stepper motors I throw at it or will it be specific ones only?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Am very excited to join this community and start making my project! :)

Rob

Give us more info on the motors please - in particular pictures of the nameplate, measurement of the winding resistance, the voltages produced by the scanner's PSU, and also it is worth identifying the motor controller chips on the original machine and googling their part numbers.

Even the model number of the scanner would be useful, someone else may already have reverse-engineered it.

What parts are in the printer now to drive the motors? Look at the power supply, control chips for the motors. Might be under heat sinks.

Thank you both for helping me make a start in this part of the project. Really appreciated! It turns out I was given some dodgy advice and was told all I'd need are the stepper motors etc, nothing was said of the controllers and whatnot (I thought the arduino controllers would do it).

But, there may be saving grace. There were two items. A scanner and a printer/scanner.

• I haven't pulled apart the printer/scanner completely yet so the drivers and chips etc are all intact. Only the casings and whatnot have been removed.
  • The old scanner though, i simply removed the stepper and belts etc and have them without any of the original power supply, casing etc

Here are the photos as requested: https://plus.google.com/photos/114869148937797604348/albums/5902113309792213953?authkey=COeyjeX1zKWX5AE

I hope they provide some info that can help guide me with how to drive them?

Again, this help is very much appreciated.

Rob

robster: Thank you both for helping me make a start in this part of the project. Really appreciated! It turns out I was given some dodgy advice and was told all I'd need are the stepper motors etc, nothing was said of the controllers and whatnot (I thought the arduino controllers would do it).

But, there may be saving grace. There were two items. A scanner and a printer/scanner.

• I haven't pulled apart the printer/scanner completely yet so the drivers and chips etc are all intact. Only the casings and whatnot have been removed.
  • The old scanner though, i simply removed the stepper and belts etc and have them without any of the original power supply, casing etc

Here are the photos as requested: https://plus.google.com/photos/114869148937797604348/albums/5902113309792213953?authkey=COeyjeX1zKWX5AE

I hope they provide some info that can help guide me with how to drive them?

Again, this help is very much appreciated.

Rob

OK put some of those part numbers into google and lots of hits come out - so you should be able to do some digging and work out how to drive them.

I would suggest you get hold of a sparkfun Easydriver module (about $15) - you can throw any reasonable level voltage at it and use it to drive either standard or stepper motors

Have a search online also for how to identify the wire pairs for a stepper motor - this will enable you to understand which wires are paired together for each of the coils.

You will need a reasonable multimeter for all of this.

I have just gotten my son into doing exactly the same thing and he is busy collecting printers and scanner etc to get as many motors, belts and pulleys as he can - then he will work out what he is going to build !

There was a good thread on here this week with someone else wiring up a stepper through this sparkfun module - search for that as a starting point for connecting it up

Craig

The Mitsumi stepper (five wires) is a unipolar stepper. It can be driven with four transistors. See http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/SmallSteppers for an example.

The FDK motor has six wires and can be wired as either a bipolar or unipolar motor. It also appears to have a quadrature encoder (the other four(?) wires). Figuring out the wiring of the encoder is going to be tricky and it would be nice to have a datasheet on it, but for the motor part, again you can drive it with four transistors with a unipolar wiring or wire it bipolar and use an Easydriver or A4988 module.

The Sun motor looks like it's just a brushed DC motor.

In general the specs of the motor aren't very useful. You can figure out which wire is which using a multimeter as craig described; just test the resistances between the wires and the Mitsumi motor will have one wire different than all the rest and the FDK motor will have two. The motor won't care what voltage you drive it at (up to ~40V) and you get better speed driving it with higher voltages, but the killer is that you must keep the current under control. Burning up the motor is the primary concern; the motor can get quite hot but if the stepper gets too hot to hold then you need to cut down on the current. For unipolar motors the current limiting is usually done with PWM or large, multiwatt resistors, and with the bipolar motors the EasyDriver/A4988 drivers have a current limiting capability built in -- and in that respect are preferable to use.