try to make me a ph, ec, ppm, temp, micro Simens controller.

Hi I'm super intresert in tropical Fish( advance fresh whater Fish stingrays) and will with this hobby try to make me a ph, ec, ppm, temp, micro Simens controller. I have one like this

http://www.getbluelab.com/shop/By+Application/Aquaculture/Bluelab+Guardian+Monitor.html but I have several large aquarium and want a controller in each. is there anyone who can help me with this? need help with parts list and what work best together;)

thank you in advance

Hi Ronnie,

So you want to make a controller similar to the one you linked for a lower cost, right? Google “arduino aquarium controller” and you will get many good quality guides on how to build one. Check those out then come back here with ideas and more specific questions.

ronnyH: try to make me a ph, ec, ppm, temp, micro Simens controller.

You do understand that three of those are the same right? EC is electrical conductivity, microsiemens is the unit of measure for EC, and TDS (ppm) is what EC is used to tell you about.

So all you really want is EC, pH, and temp.

Delta_G:
You do understand that three of those are the same right? EC is electrical conductivity, microsiemens is the unit of measure for EC, and TDS (ppm) is what EC is used to tell you about.

So all you really want is EC, pH, and temp.

well… not really exactly the same.
TDS is a function of debris in the water.
EC is an electrical property
microsiems is, as you say, a unit of measure.
now, you are correct that to determine the first, you measure the second on a scale provided by the 3rd.

thank you for recognizing and pointing this out. hopefully it will save the guy some figuring.

Yeah, I get your semantic argument. But in the interest of an aquarium controller they are all the same thing. That’s the result coming from your conductivity probe. It would be like someone saying they need readouts for temperature, degrees celcius, and how hot it is. You only need one thing on the display.

Delta_G: Yeah, I get your semantic argument. But in the interest of an aquarium controller they are all the same thing. That's the result coming from your conductivity probe. It would be like someone saying they need readouts for temperature, degrees celcius, and how hot it is. You only need one thing on the display.

you are correct, however, in the spirit of tearing things apart and going over the minutiae.... is there even such a thing as a microsiemens controller ?

dave-in-nj: is there even such a thing as a microsiemens controller ?

This what you're looking for? ;)

http://w3.siemens.com/mcms/programmable-logic-controller/en/simatic-s7-controller/s7-200/pages/default.aspx

SIMATIC S7-200 Tailor-made functionality

Digital, analog, specific or communicative — the extensive basic functionality offered by the five different CPUs can be expanded with a wide range of individual modules. Programming is based on the easy-to-use engineering software STEP 7 Micro/WIN. As a result, the SIMATIC S7-200 Micro PLC is a reliable, fast and flexible controller in the field of micro automation.

dave-in-nj: you are correct, however, in the spirit of tearing things apart and going over the minutiae.... is there even such a thing as a microsiemens controller ?

Sure there is. If the conductivity is high, add fresh water.

I'm sure you were joking, but for those that don't know microsiemens are a unit of measure for conductivity. Here in the US we use micro Mhos as well. Oddly enough 1 uMho = 1 uSiemen.

Delta_G: This what you're looking for? ;)

http://w3.siemens.com/mcms/programmable-logic-controller/en/simatic-s7-controller/s7-200/pages/default.aspx

NICE. !

nathancamp: Sure there is. If the conductivity is high, add fresh water.

I'm sure you were joking, but for those that don't know microsiemens are a unit of measure for conductivity. Here in the US we use micro Mhos as well. Oddly enough 1 uMho = 1 uSiemen.

Does it control micrisiemens? I would guess it was a fresh water controller. I would offer that one could argue it is a conductivity controller because an indirect result of fresh water control, a possible corresponding result could be a chage of conductivity.

I was guessing it was a small controller from the German company Siemens but if you misspell that badly then it could be anything.

Rule 34 applies.

dave-in-nj: Does it control micrisiemens? I would guess it was a fresh water controller. I would offer that one could argue it is a conductivity controller because an indirect result of fresh water control, a possible corresponding result could be a chage of conductivity.

I would call it a conductivity controller. I think that the OP wants to monitor conductivity, not use a closed loop control for it.

You are correct. Calling it a micro siemes controller would be like calling a temperature controller a degree C controller.

If you are controlling the temperature of a jacketed vessel by controlling the cooling water flowing through the jacket, it would be a temperature controller, not a flow controller. A flow controller implies that the flow is measured and controlled. Technically, you could have a temperature controller cascade a remote setpoint to a flow controller and have both a temperature controller and a flow controller.

Back to the OP topic. You are looking at a cost of $100 to $150 dollars just for the sensors. ~$70 for a conductivity probe, ~$30 for a pH probe, and ~$10 for a temperature probe (assuming that the temperature cannot be read from one of the other sensors).

It may be more cost effective to but a unit instead of building one. You tend to get a lot better prices when you buy in the thousands instead of one by one.

If you are set to build it yourself, start researching the available sensors that will work with the arduino either through a shield or direct connection. Then look at some similar projects on Google to get you to a good starting point.

Good luck.

nathancamp:
It may be more cost effective to but a unit instead of building one. You tend to get a lot better prices when you buy in the thousands instead of one by one.

If you are set to build it yourself, start researching the available sensors that will work with the arduino either through a shield or direct connection. Then look at some similar projects on Google to get you to a good starting point.

Good luck.

Excellent on topic recommendation.
Often sensors can be as simple as hair and a spring on a drum that sells for $100.00
Manufacturers will make one specific to the application for pennies and include with the package and the overall cost is lower.