tutorial for breadboard

Hi,

I am learning how to use the breadboard by following the arduino guide and it is telling me to place the red led and resistor in those places on the picture I sent. I am not sure on how to place the red led and the resistor on the breadboard, since it looks like the resistor needs to be bend? I could use some help on using this breadboard

Thank You

You bend the component's wires so that you can fit them into the breadboard holes. That's what they are made for.

Steve

@atribreez

Your topic was Moved to it's current location / section as it is more suitable.

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.

Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

This may help you with your breadboard experiences.

How to use a breadboard:

Of course you need to bend the leads to fit the resistor into the breadboard.

Unfortunately, that is a bad diagram.

Resistor leads are quite flexible but you should avoid bending LED leads if at all possible, they should be placed so that the two leads are in immediately adjacent columns whose 1/10" spacing matches that of the LED without bending. Then you use a wire link to join the second column to the supply rail. (The resistor connects the first column.)

Of course you need to bend the leads to fit the resistor into the breadboard.

Well, as you know Paul, nobody really does that. They stick the led in two adjacent holes without bending it
and connect the led using hookup wire. I've never bent a led in 40 years. Why would I when all I need to
do is add a couple of short jumpers. That way the led remains pristine no matter how many times you use it.
I have hundreds (ok , maybe dozens ) of leds that have been used hundreds of times and you can't tell them apart from brand new ones because they have never been bent. As you pointed out, that's a bad diagram.
I don't know anyone who would do that.

Eh? Did you read my posting? :roll_eyes:

Eh? Did you read my posting?

I knew that ...(no, actually, I didn't read all of it. My bad) :-[

Everybody has their own opinion :slight_smile:

Personally I have no issue bending the leads of an LED if it suits my purpose. Just remember to not make tight bends and don't bend at the plastic, use a needle nose to not stress the plastic to lead joint.

I should add that many LEDs have square leads so going in a diagonal requires a bend an a twist.

For the OP, the reason for all these words on bending the leads of an LED is because they are more prone to breaking than a resistor. So the less you bend the less likely they will break.

OP, Google ‘Breadboard Helper’.

In your spare time, make some up so they are ready to use when you need them.

JohnRob:
Just remember to not make tight bends and don't bend at the plastic, use a needle nose to not stress the plastic to lead joint.

I should add that many LEDs have square leads so going in a diagonal requires a bend an a twist.

For the OP, the reason for all these words on bending the leads of an LED is because they are more prone to breaking than a resistor. So the less you bend the less likely they will break.

And those are the three reasons to simply make a practice of not bending the LED leads. :sunglasses: