Unable to setup ethernet shield

Hi,

I am using a standard Ethernet shield w5100 with a UNO, but unable to setup things correctly. I tried every example from IDE and it wont work.

Basically, the module is working from the visual point of view.

1. I connect to my router Linksys running tomato firmware and it wont work. The COLL light flashes.

2. If i connect it to the ISP's RJ45 directly all light come on and blinking but that not what I want plus i cannot verify anything that way.

Tried every patch cord i had and same result. All DHCP examples fail. Even if i specify an IP with mac address still the COLL flashes.

Long ago i had it working so i remember it was not so complex. of course i had a different router then. What am i doing wrong ?

You may need to change the resistors. post #19 Ethernet sheild(W5100) not working with Uno - Networking, Protocols, and Devices - Arduino Forum

i doubt it is that. Cause i bought a new one and i am having exact same issue.

Some more info on this. Actually i am seeing a different issue now. it seems that if i leave Arduino + shield alone for 1 minutes or more it does seem to be able to connect to net. Til that time the "fullD" light keeps flashing. it was the same for the previous shield as well.