Upgrading yun: What is the difference between the easy and advanced procedure?

Hi I have a question about the upgrade: "What is the difference between the easy and advanced procedure?" Ok; I can read the different steps on how; but I do not know what the different behavior will be between the easy (recommended) and advanced (warranty breaking) method after they have been executed. For instance: Suppose I take the easy method and I reset the yun to default as described here http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoYun

To reset the OpenWrt-Yun distribution to its default state, press the WiFi reset button for at least 30 seconds. The board reverts to the original settings as if it had been reflashed or taken out of the box. Among other things, this removes all installed files and network settings.

Do I need to upgrade again?

Best regards Jantje

the lines you wrote about the resetting procedure don't concern with the upgrading process, that concern the normal yun resetting process to bring the board to the factory settings.

the upgrading is only about the openwrt firmware that has been fixed an updated; and maybe the easy one is the one explained here: http://blog.arduino.cc/2014/04/23/upgrading-the-openwrt-yun-image-on-the-yun/

this one has been released from arduino team so it is "official", the others you can find on linino.org website aren't, so using an unofficial version you will lose the warranty, otherwise not.

The sysupgrade procedure is safe because it needs only the board: a file is copied and that is everything needed. sysupgrade does not update uboot (we haven't updated uboot btw).

The advanced procedure is dangerous because 1) it relies on network (tftp) and network may fail 2) each step has an "erase" substep and if the proceeding step fails you are left with a bricked board, especially if it was the uboot step that failed.

So, why having an advanced procedure if it's useless? Because you are free to play with the yun at all levels, if you know what you're doing. Indeed I'm aware of at least one user that was playing with uboot and some other advanced stuff.

If you upgrade then press reset for 30 seconds, the board will get back to the moment AFTER your upgrade. So, no, you won't have to upgrade again. I understand that piece of documentation is misleading: I'll make it fixed asap.

That is clear. Thanks Federico

Best regards Jantje

EnricoSandoni: you will lose the warranty

Where can I read a copy of the warranty without buying a Yun. My Google searches haven't found the text.

...R

Isn't it dictated by law? In Europe it's at least two years.

[quote author=Federico Fissore link=topic=235242.msg1693431#msg1693431 date=1398286067] Isn't it dictated by law? In Europe it's at least two years. [/quote] I think 2 years is for consumer electronics. I don't think yun fits that.

[quote author=Federico Fissore link=topic=235242.msg1693431#msg1693431 date=1398286067] Isn't it dictated by law? In Europe it's at least two years. [/quote]

What is "it"

We need to be able to read it. If you claim that some behaviour will invalidate a warranty that can only mean that there is text somewhere that says what you may and may not do and which can be brought before a court in the event of a disagreement.

If you can't produce the text you can't claim that a user's behaviour will be contrary to it.

And @Jantje I can't imagine the Arduino products being anything other than consumer products. They are certainly not commercial products.

...R

The two years will be great, at US develop board like Yun might only has 90 days warranty.

The Apple-1 computer operation manual and warranty – 1976

Apple-1 computer has a period of thirty (30) days from date of purchase warranty.

A functioning Apple 1 computer, one of the first 200 computers sold by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, sold for $374500. without warranty, which is not 30 days passed but 36 years passed.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/15/functioning-apple-1-sells-for-375000-at-sothebys-auction/

sonnyyu: The two years will be great, at US develop board like Yun might only has 90 days warranty

Sorry but the Yun is "Designed in Switzerland, Manufactured in Taiwan", not the USA (though Switzerland nor Taiwan are part of the EU either)...

Ralf