Using Arduino with Raspberry Pi

I want to use the Arduino Nano using Raspberry Pi or Raspberry Pi Zero - possibly to take advantage of the A/D ports in Arduino. We do not have any A/D in Pi. Anyone has done it ? Any experience ?

digger72:
You can use Firmata Protocol for communication between Raspberry Pi and Arduino. This is a robust way....

Yes a robust way of being a total waste of time. The soloution is simply to add an A/D to be GPIO port of the Pi.
Their are many commercial ones you can buy, or you can make your own for less than the price of even a rip off Arduino.

IF you still want the Arduino add-on...........................

You might want to use a 3V Arduino Store item like this one:

Check the spec, 12-bit ADC for one.

If you want one with pins... PJRC Store

You could go bigger but you have the Pi.

There is or was a 3V Arduino Mini and without too much work you can roll your own 3V duino from a 328P chip and very few parts (wires, a cap, a resistor) using a walkthrough blog to git er done.

IF you do go with a 5V Arduino then search on voltage-leveling using 74HC4050 hex buffers. That chips packs 6 channels of 5V to 3V leveling in 1 small package for about 40 or 50 cents.

No need for all that just plug any voltage Arduino into the USB port and talk over the normal serial coms path.

For adding your own chip the MCP4002, MCP4004, and MCP4008 for 2, 4 or 8 analogue inputs respective. In MagPi No. 46 where I used a MCP4002, and MagPi No. 49 where I used a MCP4004. You can still down load these issues for free from the MagPi site.

Oh... right... RPi has USB host. Doh! K for you!

I haven't gotten an RPi yet.

RPi has USB host

Yes it is when you want to make them a client you have to jump through the same sort of hoops we do here when you want a host. It's the other end of the telescope.

That's what happens when you want to use cheap keyboards and mice I guess.

There is the Ethernet port.

And built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth so their are plenty of communications options.

Grumpy_Mike:
And built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth so their are plenty of communications options.

Yes the Built in Wifi and BT is great in Pi Zero- BUT - they DO NOT have A/D. They have USB host but not USB Hub. This is where my ArduinoPixed helps. It uses pogo pins to extend 3 USB Ports and an Arduino.

See pics

Also the Block Diagram

Thanks for the details of ArduinoPixed and introducing it to me. I pledged my support on kickstarter.

digger72:
Also the Block Diagram

If you use an ATmega32U4 instead of the 328, you won't need a USB to UART interface.
It's got 12 analog pins, 25 IO pins and 2560 bytes of RAM as well as built-in USB.

GoForSmoke:
If you use an ATmega32U4 instead of the 328, you won't need a USB to UART interface.
It's got 12 analog pins, 25 IO pins and 2560 bytes of RAM as well as built-in USB.

I checked ATmega32U4 - it is indeed a good suggestion. I checked its price at Digikey and is showing at $4 , which is substantially more than ATMEGA328 but is a great.

The ArduinoPixed was designed for Raspberry Pi Zero, I also wanted to extend USB Ports to it so that a keyboard and muse, for example, could be used.

MODERATOR REMOVED ALLREADY MENTIONED KICKSTARTER COMMERCIAL

Wow $4.00 is substantial, in comparison to nothing it is insubstantial and if you are making more than 10 that is a silly price anyway. For the record I think your proposed answer is not relevant to the question and this is a poor product. Good luck with conning other gullible newbies.

For adding your own chip the MCP4002, MCP4004, and MCP4008 for 2, 4 or 8 analogue inputs respective. In MagPi No. 46 where I used a MCP4002, and MagPi No. 49 where I used a MCP4004. You can still down load these issues for free from the MagPi site.

This interests me, so I downloaded issue 46 and looked for these parts. Uhhh... Not found. That must be a typo. I think I eventually found it, on page 61, although it is MCP3002, and somehow the MCP3002 got mis-labeled in the schematic as another MSGEQ7. Just a little bit confusing.

Other than that, thanks for writing that article, and pointing us to it.

and MagPi No. 49 where I used a MCP4004

Page 49 of MagPi 49 is where I used the MCP4004

so I downloaded issue 46 and looked for these parts. Uhhh... Not found. That must be a typo.

Yes their was a typo when they laid out the magazine in Figure 2, page 61. The right hand chip is the MCP4004, which you can tell from the layout diagram on page 63 where the chips are correctly identified.

I can't seem to find any chip numbered MCP4004 on the web. Or MCP4002 or MCP4008. Or in the MagPi article.

It DID have an MCP3002.

So what does the USB to UART cost including board space and assembly? Also the 32U4 throughput to the Pi is full speed and can be HID with no hardware mod needed and has 12 analog inputs.

Estimated delivery Mar 2018.