Voltage into an analog pin on an Arduino Uno

I have a problem............well I have many LoL! but this one is about Arduino UNO.

Relatively new to playing with the UNO & my field is Mech Eng so I'm on a steep learning curve here.

I have set up a UNO to control a 6V motor Via Relay, Motion is initiated via a signal from an accelerometer/motion sensor, output from the UNO is the signal to a relay & control the 6V motor. (on 5 Sec, Pause 5 Sec, on 5 sec, stop)

I am now trying to introduce a proximity Switch to control the final Stop position instead of simply using Time delays to determine the stop position. Variations in battery condition & temperature are the problem.

I run two power sources.
9V thru the regulator to power the Arduino & a separate 6V source thru the Relay to drive the Motor.

I have purchased a 6-36V Proximity SW as I couldn't find a 5V as per the analogue inputs to the UNO.

The output voltage of the Prox is the same as the input voltage (N/O Switch)

Q.1 - Is a 6V Analogue input going to be too high for the UNO.?
Q.2 - What is the best way to limit the Prox output signal to 5V & protect the UNO input?

Regards, Mick.

TOPIC SPLIT
DO NOT HIJACK / NECRO POST !

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

Short answer is YES 6 volts is too much so do NOT put 6 volts into a pin on the Arduino unless you just want to buy more and like online shopping :grinning:

A voltage divider circuit is the common method of reducing voltage in the smaller ranges.