What is in my board and what can it do?

Hello! I have recently got my Arduino Uno, including a whole kit that goes along with it. I am very keen on learning new projects, but I don't know half of what is in it. I got my Arduino Uno for christmas, which means I was not the one that purchased it. The things I do know what are in it are: 1 x arduino Uno board 1x set of Jump cables. 5 x bags of LED's -colors: White x 4 blue x 4 Green x 4 Orange x 4 and red x 4

5 bags of resistors including: 1K Ohm 10K Ohm 100 ohm 100K ohm and 470 Ohm

1 x USB Cable (A to B) 1 x 3 digit clock 4 x Little push switches 1 x big push switch 1 x blue Plate (?) 1 x twist switch (Dim lights I think)

The rest I have no idea what they are... and am Keen to find out!

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards, -Goldfile

Welcome!

There's nothing in your board.... so it can do nothing. Or...... or, as Barney would say..... or, it can do lots.

Point being that you write a program (known in Arduinese as a sketch) to get the board to do what you want it to do. Typically, that means it reads a sensor to see what the environment is up to, and then instructs an actuator accordingly. A sensor is something that tells it something (the position (open or closed) of one of those little switches for example). An actuator is something that does something, like a motor or one of those LEDs you have.

The kit you got (and there are many brands of kits, with varying content) should have some kind of booklet with it, or if not maybe a web site. If neither, then start with the Getting Started page and the Tutorials on this very site.

Edit.... re the mysterious "blue plate"... you can post a pic of that if you like. Click "Additional Options" below the typing area, and upload it.

Hi! Thank you very much on replying so fast! I have downloaded the Arduino Program and have done some projects with it. Such as LED Blinking (On the breadboard), traffic lights and Police sirens. I really like it. But it takes the fun away when you don't know what you are working with in half of the kit.

Although the website comment I found interesting, Because it did came with a website, and I am going to check it out now!

Thanks lots for your help!

Kind regards, -Goldfile

Just so you can see what you might move towards: I recently bought an Ethernet shield which is currently running as a server. I have the Uno reading the temperature from a sensor, and the real time (ie time of day) from a clock chip, and the server publishes that info to be read by a browser. So you, wherever you are, can see the time and temperature in South Africa by browsing to here.

That is very well made! And very cool that People all over the world can see the time and date in Zuid Afrika! You must've put a lot of effort into that!

But mind me asking, What can a Ethernet shield do? Kind regards, -Goldfile

You asking us "what came in the kit I got" except you aren't telling us what kit it is. There are tons of starter kits out there, you'll need to narrow it down.

Kinda like going to the hardware store buying all the tools of a proffesional tradesman eg plumbing tools…

Once home you have all the tools to do any plumbing job but it does not mean you’re a plumber now lol

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=206665.msg1521161#msg1521161 date=1388087309] You asking us "what came in the kit I got" except you aren't telling us what kit it is. There are tons of starter kits out there, you'll need to narrow it down. [/quote]

Well, like I said, I wasn't the one that had purchased the Arduino Uno nor the kit, So I am wondering if anyone else got either the same or similar things in their kit, and explain to me what they are and how they work.

Thanks for your reply!

kind regards, -Goldfile

Yeah... so a picture or link would significantly help your chances at getting answers...

Well, I did get a website with the kit, but when I visited the website, it was in Chinese, and had to use Google translate (pop-up one) To translate it.

(with the pop-up one I mean the one you get on websites in different languages and asks you to translate it)

Anyway, here is the website:
www.syyyd.com

Thanks for your reply!

Kind regards,
-Goldfile

There are tons of "getting started with Arduino" type blogs, websites, and books. Do some searching and find one that looks accessible and interesting to you. To begin with, maybe head over to the Adafruit website. They have a good set of tutorials for starting out. It'll give you some immediate gratification. Then maybe pick up a book (there are lots of good ones to choose from!) to go more in-depth.

Arduino ties together electronics and programming. If you've never done either before, there's a bit of a learning curve, so keep that in mind and don't get frustrated. Start small and follow some practice / example projects before trying to go out on your own. It might not be as much fun as some imagined project at first, but you'll get overwhelmed and probably give up if you try to take it all on at once. Give it time.

Finally... this is such an expansive universe that you can't really say "hey, I got an Arduino... now what?" That's like getting a garage full of tools from screwdrivers and pliers to a table saw and router, then asking a handyman forum what you're supposed to do with it. ;) The answer to that is, "What do you want to do with it?" In both cases, they're just tools -- the purpose is up to you.

Are your kits look like these

Hello!

Yes indeed, That is the one!
Exactly like it in fact, But I don’t know what half of them are still >.<
For example the V4 etc.

Thanks lots for your help!

Kind regards,
-Goldfile

LDR Light sensor

IR remote Receive

vibration sensor This Vibration Sensor use the SW-18015P from MEC to measure the vibration.It can triggered from any angle, and often used for flex, touch, vibration and shock measurements.

IR photo transistor sensor

temperature sensor

Buzzer

Ball Bearing Tilt Sensor

NPN SS8050 & PNP SS8550 Transistor http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/SS/SS8050.pdf http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/SS/SS8550.pdf

3 digits 7 segment display

Hello!

Thanks very much bud! Now that I know what they are, I can finally extend my arduino experience!

Thanks again, for your help!

Kind regards, -Goldfile

Hi Goldfile.

You have been asking me (and i guess some others too) in some personal message for projects because you don't have any to do anymore (you asked me in kind of my own language, but Google doesn't really help here). First of all, don't do that. Do not send PM's to anyone unless you have to or are invited to. You aren't making friends this way. Since you are new to all this and i imagine you also are of young age and might lack experience in these things i'll leave it at that.

Now you know about each part in your kit, you can go find sketches for those parts. Have a look in the IDE menu: File - Examples. You can't tell me you did all of those and are understanding them all. The fun part (and the learning) begins when you take those examples and make small changes so they do things a little different. About a year ago when i started, i made 10 or more variations on the Blink sketch. Had 2 LEDs blink. Had them blink alternating LED 1 and 2. Had them blink in different speeds, Added 4 more LEDs, put them in a circle and had the circle glow up rotating right, After that rotate left, Then have them fade while rotating, Then have the rotation speed set by potentiometer And so on. You can do a lot of these small variations to the examples you have available at your fingertips right now.

If you're done with that, have a look at the playground (click !) right here on this site.

There's plenty to do and to learn.