Will splitting USB port divide the current?

I plan to run my Arduino Nano from my laptop, which only has one USB port. I intend to buy a USB hub which could split to have about 4 USB ports, and then use one of them for a web cam and the other for my Arduino.

The USB port on my laptop is likely going to limit the current at 500mA. And if I were to split the ports with a USB hub, would there still have enough current to power both the web cam and Arduino? Would the current be divided into 250mA for each port?

Get a hub with its own power supply

JimboZA:

Do uou mean one that I can insert batteries into the hub? Most of the hubs I see in stores are just ordinary ones with only a male USB head split to 4 female ports. Would those ordinary ones divide the current causing arduino to have insufficient power?

Well, it depends, if you buy a shitty Chinese one you'll get more troubles than that.

But to answer your this question:

Would the current be divided into 250mA for each port?

Normally: Only if each connection is needs 250mA, cuz if you are not using it, they might be available.

But if you exceed the maximum current, your operative system will tell you, or your motherboard will try to contact you by smoke signals :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

xEnOnn:

JimboZA:

Do uou mean one that I can insert batteries into the hub?

Read what Wikipedia has to say, under power.

Do you mean one that I can insert batteries into the hub?

Usually they have a "wall wart" power supply like an ethernet hub (or switch or router). I've never seen a battery powered one. And at 500mA, the batteries wouldn't last long.

[u]Here[/u] is the 1st powered hub I found when I googled.

Are you using a laptop or a desktop?
Because if you are using a desktop you can add a PCI board to give you more USBs

tsunamy_boy:
Are you using a laptop or a desktop?

It says 'laptop' in the first line...

To answer the questions:

Yes, the current will be shared among whatever you connect, minus a bit for the hub. You'll need a powered hub if the USB starts shutting down.

Batteries won't last very long, I wouldn't even bother.