Yun vs. Mega 2560 R3 with Yun Shield : thoughts?

I have browsed for several hours, yet have been constantly flipping between purchasing the Mega 2560 R3 or the Yun.

I am really drawn to the wireless functionality and bridged Linux system of the Yun, yet have found several reviews about the lack of Flash Memory/etc.

I stumbled upon the Yun Shield which I wouldn't mind getting if it functioned exactly as the Yun does.

Any thoughts or reviews?

Combine the Yun shield with a Leonardo clone and you have a Yun for about 32 euros. It should be the same and I think it is the same. But I don't have that yet, since I ordered that a few days ago.. :)

Peter_n: Combine the Yun shield with a Leonardo clone and you have a Yun for about 32 euros.

I am aware of that, which is why I'm hesitant on strictly the Yun.

Peter_n: It should be the same and I think it is the same. But I don't have that yet, since I ordered that a few days ago.. :)

You ordered the Yun Shield? Regardless, please let me know how it goes! :)

I ordered the shield plus an extra cheap Leonardo clone on Ebay. It's gonna take 4 to 6 weeks.

I’ve been playing with one for a couple of weeks bridged to an Uno, works just like a real Yun. I tried a cheap leo clone, didn’t work but Dragino’s wiki mentioned that some of the clones have voltage issues on the SPI. I’ve been happy so far. Dragino, the manufacture of the shield has done a good job with documentation in how to get it to work with the various Arduino flavors and troubleshooting. They also updated the Yun firmware to the latest Barrier Breaker version of OpenWrt ( unlike the real Yun :frowning: ) and added UI customization to select the Arduino type hooked up.

My Yun Shield arrived today. It is a Dragino Yun shield : www.dragino.com It looks okay, it is well packaged. Getting the antenna in the socket was very hard, I finally clicked it in with the wire to the side, just as in the photos. I followed the documentation at the Dragino website, so I used a power supply at the DC barrel jack of the Leonardo.

It doesn't have the sd card socket like the real Yun. For some web services an sd card is needed. They say that they use the same wifi/linux module, but they have their own Dragino firmware for it. It is still OpenWRT, so a lot should be the same.

I was able to connect to the board via wifi and ethernet, and upgraded the firmware (1.3.5) and I could upload a sketch. I could also connect via SSH terminal and run commands. The user webinterface crashed. After pressing the reset button for 30 seconds it was reset to factory settings. Since then no more crash.

My goal was to connect a webcam to it, with the kmod-video-uvc package. But I can't install the mjpg-streamer package, so I can't go on.

A couple of thoughts,

The microSD of the real Yun is attached to a USB hub that is part of the Yun main board. You should be able to mount a usb flash drive in the same way to store the web service data.

For installing packages, make sure that the OpenWrt package repository is set to go to the right place:

Go to the main Openwrt LuCi system -> software menu and there should be a textbox to enter the script that Openwrt runs to get the package list. Since the Yun sheild is on the very latest release OpenWrt "Barrier Breaker", you will need to change the path to go to the release "Barrier Breaker" packages. I'm pretty sure I had to change this to get it to see the package list in order to install additional packages, as the path hadn't been properly updated. Do not try to get packages from the official ardunio Yun site, it runs an older release of OpenWrt. Hope this helps :)

Does anyone know if the Yun shield is available from UK suppliers yet? (Google did not find any)

...R

skiVT-100, thanks ! I have streaming video now 8)

A flash drive to the usb port or even behind a hub is all the same, it is /dev/sda1 So I have a webcam plus flash drive connected to a hub.

I didn't know which is the newest software source folder, so I took the newest folder that had 2014 packages, and it worked.

Running mjpg-streamer was all that was needed, and using port 8080 in my browser.

Update: The Yun shield uses RX and TX to communicate with the Arduino board. When using an Arduino Mega, the usb-serial has to be disabled to make the Yun Shield work with the Arduino Mega. So only the Leonardo is the most useful board for the Yun Shield. The Dragino firmware is not very stable. I have to reset it to factory defaults sometimes, or force to re-install packages. The shield requires knowledge of Arduino and linux. If you can get it for about 26 euros inclusive shipping (like I did) you get great value for money. Search on Ebay for : yun shield arduino It can run a webserver with control by/to the Arduino board, and many more internet applications like a webcam stream. They will run at the same time if you want to. The components don't get hot. For many projects it is a good (or even a better) alternative for the Raspberry Pi.

Update 2: Streaming two webcams via wifi; using a usb flash drive; playing mp3 files (or internet radio) to a usb-audio device, and a webpage controlled by the Arduino board with zepto.js; also having the LuCI interface open, and the SSH telnet. Everything at the same time, and the cpu is at 80% busy ;D

@ Peter_n

I just got my Iduino Yun Shield (apparently the Iduino is essentially the same as the Dragino) and i have many Uno boards around. I am wanting to stream video from a webcam to the internet using the Yun and ultimately receive it on an Android device. I was hoping to incorporate Audio into this as well once i have the Video sorted out.

I have read many posts but they seem to be very early days for the Yun and people were having issues with processing speed restricting video quality. Your post regarding the streaming of 2 webcams and mp3 at the same time and still only using 80% of the CPUs ability leads me to believe that the Yun shield may be capable of streaming 2-way Audio and Video.

I was hoping to get your thoughts on this and also some advice regarding resolution and frame rate.

How do you guys power up the Arduino? I read online that USB does not seem to be sufficient. I tried powering it up using the micro USB from a Leonardo (with Yun Shield stacked on top) but I was unable to find the unsecured Dragino-XXX network, although the LEDs are flashing on the board