HOW TO ? use Arduino GSM Shield as Network System for Yùn Linino + AWS YUN SDK

Hello

I bought an Yun card and Arduino GSM Shield v2 so that i can use the GSM Shield as a modem and use them with AWS YUN SDK (which uses communication in linux/linino side, wifi or else).

What a surprise, i have not found in any arduino documentation and webside a way to use my expensive GSM SHIELD as a modem and how to mount it as a network system interface :frowning:

Is there a way to use the GSM Shield as a modem like GSM USB modem (which seems to be a documented and easy mounting) ?

I m a bit disappointing that Arduino Yun is so poorly documented about GSM communication with Arduino's own shield.

So who can save my investment? who has a solution to make a GSM shield into a GSM/GPRS modem for linux/linino?

Thanks in advance

I'm sorry to say that you're facing an uphill battle getting the GSM Shield to work with the Yun. That shield is designed to give GSM communications ability to a sketch running on a more traditional Arduino. The Yun is very different and uses a completely different way to communicate. The GSM shield is not a good fit for the Yun.

With the Yun, all networking and communications is handled by the Linux side, which is much more powerful and flexible than the processor that runs the sketches. The problem with the GSM Shield, or any shield for that matter, is that the shield connectors are not accessible to the Linux processor: they can only be controlled by the AVR processor and a sketch. You could conceivably write a sketch to communicate with the GSM Shield, and then pass that communications to the Linux side of the Yun, but it would be a massive software development effort, and would likely leave very little space on the AVR processor to do anything else, and would likely be quite slow.

You are having trouble finding documentation about how to hook the GSM Shield to the Linux side of the Yun, because it is not a practical solution and is much more work than its worth. As a science/research/experimentation project just to see if it can be done, it would be one thing, but if you are trying to do anything with it in a reasonable amount of time, it doesn't make sense. A much more practical and less expensive solution is to use a USB cellular modem connected directly to the Linux side.