A fair priced usb or other camera I can use to magnify please ?

I’m middle aged and have to take care of my eyes. I have a 5" magnifying lens on a boom-arm I use, and that is really getting annoying, since it seems I only have like 3" of space between my work and the lens to get caught on the tweezers, soldering iron, wires and everything else.

Ideally, I would like to mount a little camera there - and put a LCD screen - like I see in the movies how doctor perform up-close surgery. A camera with enough distance for me to use my tools without feeling like I’m working inside of a doll-house, just to clear my camera or lens or whatever I need.

I have tried a few < $40 usb “microscopes” on eBay, which do not work out because it seems to want to be 1/2" in away, or the focus range isn’t useful or some other reason.

I was wondering if anyone here had a solution, idea or something you use?

Hello DocStein,

I kinda have the same problem as you have. I've been very recently been diagnosed with poly neuro pathy, witch means the nerves in my feet are dying off. The problem is that the pills I have to take to control the pain a bit have a very bad side effect, they effect my eyesight in a bad way. I already purchased two larger laptops, a 14' and 17' one, plus some small magnifying glasses I can carry with me. I also ordered and received a small HD camera with IP connectivity. I've been having some problems to get it working, but maybe this would be a way to go sir. If wireless connected to a descent size tab or win pc it could be very helpful. If we then mount it on a stand we might have a thing that works for us. For now I use my phone and take a pic of for instance a capacitor and upload it to computer, then zoom to see what value the cap has.
Maybe using a phone would do the trick too. I don't no.

Mikeb1970:
Hello DocStein,

I kinda have the same problem as you have. I've been very recently been diagnosed with poly neuro pathy, witch means the nerves in my feet are dying off. The problem is that the pills I have to take to control the pain a bit have a very bad side effect, they effect my eyesight in a bad way. I already purchased two larger laptops, a 14' and 17' one, plus some small magnifying glasses I can carry with me. I also ordered and received a small HD camera with IP connectivity. I've been having some problems to get it working, but maybe this would be a way to go sir. If wireless connected to a descent size tab or win pc it could be very helpful. If we then mount it on a stand we might have a thing that works for us. For now I use my phone and take a pic of for instance a capacitor and upload it to computer, then zoom to see what value the cap has.
Maybe using a phone would do the trick too. I don't no.

Hi;

I work in machine shop. We use these indicator stands all the time to take measurements. I buy them, put on my desk - and use them to mount my 3rd hand clamps, lights, or whatever else. It could help you position a camera whever you want. Heavy magnetic base sits still on any desk (put tape under it if you care about getting scratches). eBay prices can be found less then $20 for "dial indicator stand".

Yes - the PHONE does an absolutely PERFECT job at being both a camera and a display! It's crystal clear, the RANGE is GREAT. I have actually found myself taping it to my boom-arm just to take pictures of stuff. I can not understand why the rest of the camera technology has not caught up to how great the camera's in these phones work. I probably need to just buy a phone just for that. I prefer to have a remote interface, or linked to my computer where I can adjust the controls without needing to use that distracting touchscreen.

The problem with these wireless cameras is the focus range - I can't seem to get them to close in on what I want. Doing that usually means i have to take a pair of super-grips to a tiny lens and turn it with the force of both hands - just to get 3/4 a turn out to focus right.

The idea with the Dial indicator stand is brilliant, I recently bought one of those third hand contraptions and if I accidentally touch it with my soldering iron the arms move, and I can start over. I will def get some. I used to work in a machine shop too, with lathes, mills. Also allot of welding and general construction in house and on site. I've been looking at your idea to work with two phones and looked for some apps.
Screen Share - oneAssistant
We could use this with a descent camera phone and stream the video to a larger screen tablet.
Bluetooth Remote Camera
With this you can control the zoom function of your camera, press the shutter remotely, ........

I think it's worth trying these apps in combination with your stand. If we would use a longer rod, and thread one end of the rod to fit in the stand the phone would be higher up, not being in the way, provided our zoom is strong enough to still provide the detailed pic we want.

With Regards,

Mike

Mikeb1970:
I think it's worth trying these apps in combination with your stand. If we would use a longer rod, and thread one end of the rod to fit in the stand the phone would be higher up, not being in the way, provided our zoom is strong enough to still provide the detailed pic we want.

With Regards,

Mike

I wish they just sold the pole mount brackets somewhere. I'd like to just buy the rod clamps. I've got plenty of rods that I scrapped from printers and copy machines.

Harbor freight used to sell a BIGGER one than that - with 3/4" rods. It had a suction cup base and cost like $20. It was really great (until it was stolen from me).

I tried 1 or 2 phone apps one time. The lag between the phone and my computer was too irritating to do any live soldering. And I had a problem with "connecting" and "lost connection" dialog popping up whenever it felt convenient.

Hello again,

Yesterday while I was in bed DocStein I was thinking about what you said, and you right about the lag if we use wireless in any way. I have been doing some searching about a stand with a such cup and found this.

Stand for Camera

I also looked at a few cameras, looking for one that is wired, so no lag, and one with a high MP count so you still have a descent picture left after zooming in. Of course I also looked at the price. Here are a few cameras.

12MP camera

16MP camera

I also did a search on rod clamps, and was quite surprised what I found, some very reasonably priced. Have a look if you feel like it.

Anyway, I hope to have helped you a bit, and I'm always available for future help, you know where to find me.

Mikeb1970:
Hello again,

Yesterday while I was in bed DocStein I was thinking about what you said, and you right about the lag if we use wireless in any way. I have been doing some searching about a stand with a such cup and found this.

Stand for Camera

I found the GOOD one. It’s too much money here - is the ONLY one I found. Not selling at grizzly either. Too bad use-enco is closed, I used to find great deals there.

Awesome boom arm stand, terrible suction base (replace with steel weight).

I ordered one of those cheap cameras - we’ll see how it works out. Probably just like the 3 others I have in my junk box of stuff that takes too much work for me. The problem is that focus lens is just a pain - I have to twist it, take it off the stand and by the time I’m done fussing, I forget what the hell I was doing.

If I knew what I was doing, I could make any bracket, adjuster, mount at the shop - but I just do not know enough about these camera optics - the focal point, distance between the lens. The photography classes I took in training were from so long ago, USB digital camera’s were not invented yet.

What are you searching for “rod clamps” I did “rod clamp” on e-bay, and found the closest thing are 15mm camera rod clamps that start around $10.00 each. For about $14.00 I get a whole magnetic base with the poles and rod clamp.

Example price of just one rod clamp without the base or anything. $20 with deliver cost too much!

I think the camera function I am looking for is “MACRO LENS”. I start trying to learn, and the video’s are really distracting, after 10 video’s guys explaining how great their workshop is and apologizing for not posting - there is like 3 minutes of content where they go over my head with the fine-print details, make it difficult for me to order something confidently. I probably need to find a photography forum and ask some experts over there for help.

I have a similar problem, and as mentioned above, the lag on a wireless or USB connected camera can be annoying. Direct HDMI to monitor is the way to go. I use this microscope.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XFRZ5T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although the monitor is small, it has good death of field and plenty of working room. I mounted the stand, upside down on one of these.

I sandwiched the base plate between two visa mounting plates. No drilling. They were parts left over from another project. This gives me plenty of working room underneath the microscope. I can easily position it wherever I need it, and when not in use, swing it out of the way, under a shelf.

I also plan on connecting it to a 7 inch HDMI display. The kind they use with cameras. But this is sometime in the future. There are also reviews on YouTube regarding this camera. Take a look, It might do what you need it to do.

This is the route I went.
Binocular Microscope

Binocular vision means you have depth of view. I solder under it all the time. And paint. And apply decals. And read part numbers.

BinocularMicroscope.png

BinocularMicroscope.png

vinceherman:
This is the route I went.
Binocular Microscope

Binocular vision means you have depth of view. I solder under it all the time. And paint. And apply decals. And read part numbers.

BinocularMicroscope.png

Yes probably good. I started getting headaches, using this at shop to inspect TINY parts. This problem partially cost me my job there. Which is why I am looking for a camera & a viewscreen. I can't replace my eyes - and must keep them in good shape.

Those solutions aren't really cheap, plus they will not ship to Belgium anyway

Why not look into older digital camera? Many of them could be bought used for cheap and they do have auto focus and zoom and usually have video out. Nearly all of the camera also have threaded mount on bottom that is pretty much universal.

wilykat:
Why not look into older digital camera? Many of them could be bought used for cheap and they do have auto focus and zoom and usually have video out. Nearly all of the camera also have threaded mount on bottom that is pretty much universal.

That is a good idea. I can find them in pawn shops cheap all over the place, since nobody buys them anymore.