Arduino based home intercom(USING WI FI ONLY)

Hello Guys I am new here So kindly be gentle.I was tinkering with the idea of using arduino +mic+speaker to build a simplex (single sided) communication device.I was able to get my hands on a good library which saves the data from mic into a .wav format.Now the problem for me is to transfer this .wav format file to another arduino acting as a receiver.I could possibly do it with both arduinos connected to internet but I want to transfer these files without using internet thereby eliminating the need for internet.I am thinking of using one arduino as server(NOTE server not web server ) and the other as client.Using this configuration establisihing a communication path between the two.Any help would be appreciated

Hi, @ahwas
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum".

If you want to avoid internet/WiFi hub, google Peer to Peer connection.
What model Arduino are you aiming to use?
It will need to be faster than a UNO or Nano and have WiFi for transmitting.

I haven't tried audio wav with Arduino, but some may have and may pop up here.

Tom.... :+1: :coffee: :australia:

Hi,
This may help, using a Nano as a walkie talkie, no wav file.

Thanks.. Tom... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

I've not tried what you are doing but if I were I'd probably try with a D1 mini and send the voice packets using UDP.

For real time applications like voice it is usual to use UDP because it is a 'send and forget' protocol, there is no error checking, delivery checking or any of the other fancy stuff that comes with TCP. If a voice packet is lost you can't send it again, it's too late, you just have to carry on.

Its the first time i have heard of this protocol forgive me if Im wrong The problem what I face with your solution is it requires internet .I want to build this device which does not require internet.

It doesn't require the internet. You run it as a local network, either with the ESP8266s acting as WiFi points to each other or with a router for them all to connect to, no internet connection required.

There's also ESPNow (I think), which provides an easy way to pass data between different ESP devices, but I can't tell you anything much about it as I've never used it.

Get 2 (or more) D1 Minis and go through the tutorials for passing UDP packets between them.

TYSM for your insight

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.