ARDUINO BI-COPTER

hello. i am planning to build a bi-copter (twin-copter) like the one used in the avatar movie (avatar scorpion gunship) , i know alittle about coding, can anyone help me with the build please? thanks.

Hello,

I'm working on the same build :) In fact I started yesterday and it it is already "somewhat" flying. Tell me what you need exactly and I will help you out

electronicsmayhem: Hello,

I'm working on the same build :) In fact I started yesterday and it it is already "somewhat" flying. Tell me what you need exactly and I will help you out

Yeah, quite a bit more information is needed than you have given :)

I don't know if those of you asking about this know about Testflite's FliteTest's attempt?

You can find it on Testflite's FliteTest's Youtube channel.

Edit: Here's the link to the video.

I remember it wasn't particularly easy to fly. It was kind of a flying pendulum.

I think such a vehicle could be made to fly well but I think it would take a well tuned flight controller to do so.

Quadcopters and tricopters (just about any other 'copter with more than two propellers) are easier to control.

Correction. The Youtube channel is FliteTest.

Lewissunn: Yeah, quite a bit more information is needed than you have given :)

:) Yes indeed, but there is so much to do to build a bi-coper so I don't know where to start at. I will be posting the howto to my blog when I have time to but for now I was hoping to answer some specific questions

Basic Info about Hardware I'm using:

Motors 2212, 2700kv Esc 30A with BEC Propellers 3-leaf 5030 (small because of the high kv of the motors) Arduino pro nano MPU-6050 Accelerometer + Gyro 2 aluminium square rods 2 55gram(standard) servo Transmitter+Receiver - I have not decided yet but will probably use phone + HC06 bluetooth module Hull - I will be printing the hull on my 3D printer when the thing is flying stable enough

Software: MultiWii, It supports bicopters, need some modifications to the servo code which is pending

So, if anyone has questions please go ahead

I know that quadcopters are more stable, easy to fly and more... but the bicopter looks cooler and is a challenge to build. It is almost too easy to build and fly a quad

electronicsmayhem: Transmitter+Receiver - I have not decided yet but will probably use phone + HC06 bluetooth module

Have you used Bluetooth to control an aircraft before?

I'm sure this is possible but my limited experience of controlling robots with a smartphone has given me the impression it's a far inferior way of controlling devices which need proportional control when compared against normal RC gear.

electronicsmayhem: Software: MultiWii, It supports bicopters, need some modifications to the servo code which is pending

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the MultiWii. I have one but I have yet to use it.

Do you understand the code enough to make the changes you need? If so, very cool.

electronicsmayhem: I know that quadcopters are more stable, easy to fly and more... but the bicopter looks cooler and is a challenge to build.

I'll tentatively concede that bicopters can look cooler than most quadcopters and I agree it will likely be harder to build than a quadcopter.

electronicsmayhem: It is almost too easy to build and fly a quad

IMO you can should only say the above IF you have successfully built and flown a quadcopter. If you haven't successfully built and flown a quadcopter I call SHENANIGANS.

I look forward to seeing details about your project.

For the transmitter you are right but it is the cheap way to go. I have only flown parrot ar drone but it was wifi. I just don't want to give that amount of money for a radio - 50$+for entry level one. Currently you can buy a commercial camera quad(with transmitter) for that price. It is hard to swallow As I said I have not decided yet

No issues with changing the code

I am saying it is almost too easy because that was the first thing I built :) after 2-3 hours of calibration it hovers with ease. But after removing 2 of the motors and adding 2 servos then the "fun" starts