Arduino Deici won't upload...???

Okay, so I plug the Arduino in, it recognizes. I try to verify program, it goes. I try to upload to board and I get this.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

My L light doesn't blink when I hit the switch, but when I plug it in the Tx and Rx lights flash. I haven't used it successfully before, is there something wrong with the board? Thanks in advance.

In my experience, the most common cause for this error is not having selected the correct serial port in the Arduino IDE. Make sure that you select (from Tools/Serial Port) the port bound to the FTDI usb-to-serial device.

Mikal

I think I do have the correct one, in Device Manager it says Com4 USB Serial Port, and in the IDE I have Com 4 selected.

Running Windows Vista if that affects anything.

Hmm... I'm running Vista as well. When you unplug the USB cable, does the port disappear from Device Manager? If so, then I'm afraid you may have a problem I am unfamiliar with.

Mikal

Yep, port disappears when I unplug the Arduino.

Oh wait... did you press the reset button immediately before beginning the upload? Some flavors of Arduino require this additional step.

Mikal

You didn't say exactly what board you are using.
Did it happen the fist time you tried to upload a program or was it the second time?
I had the same message when trying to use a bare bones board from Modern Device Co.
It can either be that your device is not connected correctly or if it is a clone and not an official Diecimila an auto reset problem.
Have you checked that you have the correct drivers installed for your FTDI device?
More information please. :slight_smile:

Okay, I'll give you what I know (this is a territory i don't frequent).

The board is a v2000 Arduino Diecimila, bought it from Makezine.

It happens both the first and the second time I try to upload.

How do I check the FTDI driver/version? When I plugged the duino in for the first time I let windows download the correct drivers, and it just went through.
The FTDI version is 2.4.6.0 3/13/2008.

Is anything supposed to happen when you press the reset button? Nothing happens on mine...

When it boots up or when I try to send data the Rx light blinks.

I tried the restart right before upload, but to no avail.
(The restart button is S1 right, or do I ground the reset port?)

What are the jumpers next to the reset switch for? None of these are jumped if that would make any difference.

Nothing is plugged into the board, only the USB cord.

Thanks for the help so far!

There is a jumper next to the USB plug that should be on the two pins closest to the connector for USB power and the six pins by the reset switch (S1) are the icsp header for programming with an in circuit programmer like the USBTiny programmer.

Okay, I have the USB selected.

Is anything supposed to happen when I press restart? Nothing does when I do...

Reset does just that, resets the running program from the beginning. If you use ctrlR to compile the code then start the download just after you press the reset you are trying to get the download to start before the bootloader is done and the program starts. On some devices this is the only way to do it but the newer Arduinos are supposed to 'autoreset'

Still nothing, can't get it going. Same port that I installed it into.

You have a Diecimila and nothing at all happens when you press the reset button? Hmm... I'd have to guess now that something has been damaged. On my Diecimila, when you press the reset, the little LED marked "L" flickers a bit, then the TX LED flickers a bit, then about 10 seconds later the TX LED comes up for good.

Mikal

Awww well that sucks. I've had this thing for a while but never had a chance to use it :confused: anyone know if there's some place I could trade it in and get one discounted or something? (poor college student).

When I plug it in, the tx/rx flicker three times and go blank.

The transistor next to the plug in pin is missing its center lead, but it looks like that might just be for the DC power.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

interesting: the L led should blink once when you connect the board or when you press the reset button. If it doesn't the ATmega168 chip on the board is probably bad, not properly seated, or someone came without the bootloader on it. You should be able to replace the board or the chip with your distributor.