Arduino IDE will not open. Windows 7

I have a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit on a Nettop nt-i1500. There is no other software installed on this machine.

I downloaded the zip of Arduino version 1.5.8. When I click the arduino.exe file in windows I get a splash screen and then it vanishes. The IDE does not load. Located in the arduino-1.5.8 directory I found files called hs_err_pidXXXX.log (where xxxx is a 4 digit number) that is created every time I try to start the IDE. It appears to be an error log. I have attached on of the files below.

I also have tried the arduino_debug.exe and I get a java crash . See the attached picture.

I have not gone to Java’s website and downloaded anything. I am using the java version that comes with the IDE download in the zip. There are no other programs loaded on this machine.

The same problem happens with IDE 1.0.6 however no error file is generated.

I’ve tried to include as much information as I currently have.

Could someone please help me troubleshoot this issue?

screenshot.19.jpg

hs_err_pid1260.txt (1.44 KB)

1 Like

When I click the arduino.exe file in windows I get a splash screen and then it vanishes.

Right-click and select "Run as Administrator"

If it continues to do same OR you do not have the Run as Administrator option, your ID may be restricted by a "policy". Contact the owner or seller of the unit.

Ray

Thank you for your help.

Running the program as administrator gives me the same result. I also get the same result running it directly from the command line.

Problems still exists.

tedstriker:
Thank you for your help.

Running the program as administrator gives me the same result. I also get the same result running it directly from the command line.

Problems still exists.

Suggestion: while far-fetched, the ZIF download or ZIF expansion may have gone bad. Un-install and start over. If your Win7 is 32-bit, your programs directory will be \Program Files\ and if your OS is 64-bit the directory will be \Program Files (x86)\ ... anyway, when doing a reinstall, I like to clear out any artifacts of the failed install within this directory structure.

Since this is a Win7 box and since there 'are no other programs' on the box may I ask if this is a refurb machine? Or, did you rebuild it yourself? Some refurbs are old corporate machines and the eBay reseller does not reload the OS; therefore, some of these have old corporate policy restrictions on usage. If this is your case, you can try and mess around with poledit but my suggestion as a past MCSE is to simply reformat and install Windows OS again so that it is clean.

Just a thought, some old AV programs had an administrative "allow to run" panel where non-registered programs would simply be shut down.

Good luck,

Ray

Again, thank you for your time.

This is a fresh install of Windows 7.

This particular box is a barebones computer from Newegg.

A friend gave it to me. It originally had XP on it. I used the Windows 7 and did an upgrade install. I had all the problems I've detailed here. I had the same thoughts as you, that there could be something left over from XP or the old installation. I formatted the drive clean and then did a clean Windows 7 install. I then did all the Microsoft updates and then used the zip version of the arduino software (no installation done).

So there you have the history, there should be no lingering policies and while it is not a new computer, it is not a refurb and I basically built it.

So there you have the history, there should be no lingering policies and while it is not a new computer, it is not a refurb and I basically built it.

I assume your userID has full admin privileges? Just for grins, you may want to log in at Administrator. Other than that, I am lost... You did Activate the OS online with MS? Maybe there is some screwy Java crap that will not run in trial-mode.

Ray

I got the same problem.Mine os is win7,too.
when I opened the ide,i saw that.

but it was gone after few seconds.

I tried compatibility,didn't work.
and tried "Run as Administrator",didn't work.

ide ver:1.06

PS:mine English is poor. :stuck_out_tongue:

this is mine first post in Taiwan.

To add to this old thread, I have installed 1.61 after 1.60 was running and could not start 1.61. On TWO Windows 7 Pro install.

I removed 1.61 and reinstalled 1.60, no problem.

FYI

Hi,

I am new to arduino and was just helping my Dad with the same issue. Win 7 , Arduino was flashing the start then closing down. After reading the multiple suggestions, ( run as admin, from CMD prompt etc..) that wer not working, I have uninstalled JAVA and Arduino but I have noticed there were some remaining Arduino folders under the C:\USER\Documents\Arduino folder....This folder was containing multiple subdirectories of \Librairies\documents\arduino\Libraries\documents\Librairies\arduino etc....

Windows 7 was not able to delete that folder properly. even thru the dos cmd. I had install a tool named Unlocker 1.9.2 and managed to actually delete this stubborn fulder. Then I reinstall Arduino.
Now it works just fine.

So please check you don't have "remaining" under the C:\ Users\Documents\Arduino\ Arduino related files once you uninstalled. Run a CC cleaner and clean the registry. Then re-install Arduino.

Hope that helps,
Took me an afternoon..

Best regards,
Roxmo