Arduino Mega 2560 on Windows 7 not working.

Hello,

My laptop (a Lenovo T420 ThinkPad with Windows 7 32 bit) does not recognise my Arduino Mega 2560. There is, however, a blinking red light and a constant red light. I am using a cable to connect the Arduino to an USB port, however no matter which USB port I plug it in, (ones on the left, the back, the front) it always shows up as an USB2.0 Serial under "Other Devices" with a yellow triangle with an ! over the icon, and when I try to install the driver software, pointing it to the arduino\drivers directory, Windows reports that it cannot find any drivers for the software. In the Arduino programming software, I have tried uploading to COM3 and COM4, however neither of these work. I have also tried using my desktop, however it has the same problem. If anyone has any suggestions what to do, or if I need to provide any more information/screenshots, please tell me! (I have tried googling the problem and following their suggestions, but that hasn't worked.)

Post a link to where the board came from so that we can advise on the correct drivers for your board.

http://aliexpress.com/item/Promotion-Sale-ATMega2560-1PCS-Mega2560-ATmega2560-16AU-Board-1PCS-USB-Cable-NEW-mega-2560/830305641.html?recommendVersion=1

Well, if it claims to be an Arduino (as opposed to a clone or compatible) then it is a fake...

However it appears to use the standard chips and so should work with the Arduino drivers.

What do you get in tools->port without it plugged in and with it plugged in?

I have an old arduino mega 2560 and a new windows 8.1 (64 bit) with the exact same issue.

As far as I know it is a genuine arduino and I bought it in a genuine shop. I never had issues with it on xp or linux. I have 2 devices under "other devices" and when I try to install the driver (I tried both devices with the same result) it states no drivers have been found just like with mvuyk.

The only googled advice I think that may help is the "install unsigned drivers" but that seems a bit harsh to me.

Advice is welcomed.

Best regards Jantje

PS ports is empty

You need to use unsigned drivers on Windows 8.1.

On other versions go into the unknown device and tell it to use a specific driver. Then go and select com port, Arduiono LLC as manufacturer and pick from there.

ChilliTronix: You need to use unsigned drivers on Windows 8.1.

Will there ever be signed drivers included with the arduino IDE? I mean are you saying arduino IDE does not support windows 8.1?

Jantje: Will there ever be signed drivers included with the arduino IDE? I mean are you saying arduino IDE does not support windows 8.1?

I have no idea. I do know that it costs money to get drivers signed.

I contacted support and they stated that in 1.6.1 all drivers are signed. They adviced to try both exe and zip I can't test till friday.