Arduino Uno ICSP port to burn bootloader

Hi All,

Would it be possible to connect the ICSP pins of an Uno to the respctive MOSI, MISO, SCK and RESET pins on a standalone Atmel328P in TQFP32/MLF32 and upload the boot-loader ?

Seoncondly why is a DIP pacakge different from TQFP32 or MLF32 in terms of pins. The dip has 28 and TQFP has 32. I am hoping to replace the DIP with the SMD pakcage. Did i use the wrong package ?

Yes, although RESET on the target device must be connected to a regular digital pin. Read the instructions in the comments in the ICSP programmer example.

DIP has two rows of pins. TQFP has 4 rows, on all 4 sides. 7 pins per side would be an unusual package. So there's extra pins available on those SMD packages. The chip is identical inside the package. If you program your custom board as a Nano, then you get support for those extra pins.

In my existing DIP package schamtic (attached) i used only the SPI programing but that was after loading the Arduino Bootloader seperately.

I checked the Atmel datasheet with my knowledge and did not find any schematic that would be possible to use ICSP for burning the Arduio Bootloader.

Thanks in advance.

anishkgt:
In my existing DIP package schamtic (attached) i used only the SPI programing but that was after loading the Arduino Bootloader seperately.

I checked the Atmel datasheet with my knowledge and did not find any schematic that would be possible to use ICSP for burning the Arduio Bootloader.

Thanks in advance.

The Atmel datasheet would not be expected to contain details of burning the Arduino bootloader.

Mr Google when given the title of your first post returns this as the second item;

Sorry if i misunderstood your post, isn't that via the ISP or are ICSP and ISP the same ?

anishkgt:
Would it be possible to connect the ICSP pins of an Uno to the respctive MOSI, MISO, SCK and RESET pins on a standalone Atmel328P in TQFP32/MLF32 and upload the boot-loader ?

No. The ICSP “Reset” pin is not the same as Pin 10 which is the pin the ArduinoISP sketch uses for SlaveSelect.

ISP
Arduino
Target
Arduino
ICSP1 ICSP1
ICSP2 ICSP2
ICSP3 ICSP3
ICSP4 ICSP4
Pin 10 ICSP5
ICSP6 ICSP6

In other words: ICSP pins 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 connect directly and the target’s ICSP5 (/RESET) connects to digital pin 10 on the ISP Arduino.

anishkgt:
Seoncondly why is a DIP pacakge different from TQFP32 or MLF32 in terms of pins. The dip has 28 and TQFP has 32. I am hoping to replace the DIP with the SMD pakcage. Did i use the wrong package ?

You can’t unplug a DIP28 ATmega328P and plug in a TQFP32 and MLF32 ATmega328P. The pins are in very different positions, along four edges of a square and spaced closer together.

thanks John. i've corrected it.

So is the pin configurations of Atmega328-TQFP same as that shown above ?

That chip is marked "AU" which would, indeed, mean the TQFP. I think the QFN/MLF package has the same pin layout.

This is the data from the datasheet showing what ordering code is associated with each package:

ATmega328P-AU = Package 32A = 32-lead, Thin (1.0 mm) Plastic Quad Flat Package (TQFP) ATmega328P-MU = Package 32M1-A = 32-pad, Quad Flat No-Lead/Micro Lead Frame Package (QFN/MLF) ATmega328P-PU = Package 28P3 = 28-lead, 0.300” Wide, Plastic Dual Inline Package (PDIP)

johnwasser: That chip is marked "AU" which would, indeed, mean the TQFP. I think the QFN/MLF package has the same pin layout.

This is the data from the datasheet showing what ordering code is associated with each package:

ATmega328P-AU = Package 32A = 32-lead, Thin (1.0 mm) Plastic Quad Flat Package (TQFP) ATmega328P-MU = Package 32M1-A = 32-pad, Quad Flat No-Lead/Micro Lead Frame Package (QFN/MLF) ATmega328P-PU = Package 28P3 = 28-lead, 0.300” Wide, Plastic Dual Inline Package (PDIP)

Thanks John. I just verified the pin out from the attached with an uno and they seem to match. I chose the TQFP only because of its bigger size, the QFN/MLF are smaller and the number of leads, 32 are same for both.