Arduino UNO R3 - UGS Software

Good morning, I'm new to the forum. I also have just purchased a CNC Machine open source. It is made up of the following. 4 Stepper motors, with limit switches, It has Elegoo Uno R3 boards, They have been loaded with the GRBL by Arduino IDE. I'm using UGS via USB cable. I can connect everything to the PC no issues there. The problem I'm having is When I go to jog the machine around to test out everything The software goes into Alarm. I can soft reset it and hit unlock and it will go back to Idle. I also noticed that when I loaded GRBL I got a Low memory warning that said I might have problems. But it said OK. Not sure where to go now.
Setting on my machine are (I have a 46in x 70in table
$0 = 10 (Step pulse time, microseconds)
$1 = 25 (Step idle delay, milliseconds)
$2 = 0 (Step pulse invert, mask)
$3 = 5 (Step direction invert, mask)
$4 = 0 (Invert step enable pin, boolean)
$5 = 0 (Invert limit pins, boolean)
$6 = 0 (Invert probe pin, boolean)
$10 = 1 (Status report options, mask)
$11 = 0.010 (Junction deviation, millimeters)
$12 = 0.002 (Arc tolerance, millimeters)
$13 = 0 (Report in inches, boolean)
$20 = 1 (Soft limits enable, boolean)
$21 = 1 (Hard limits enable, boolean)
$22 = 1 (Homing cycle enable, boolean)
$23 = 0 (Homing direction invert, mask)
$24 = 25.000 (Homing locate feed rate, mm/min)
$25 = 3000.000 (Homing search seek rate, mm/min)
$26 = 250 (Homing switch debounce delay, milliseconds)
$27 = 1.000 (Homing switch pull-off distance, millimeters)
$30 = 1000 (Maximum spindle speed, RPM)
$31 = 0 (Minimum spindle speed, RPM)
$32 = 0 (Laser-mode enable, boolean)
$100 = 1000.000 (X-axis travel resolution, step/mm)
$101 = 1000.000 (Y-axis travel resolution, step/mm)
$102 = 3100.007 (Z-axis travel resolution, step/mm)
$110 = 4500.000 (X-axis maximum rate, mm/min)
$111 = 4500.000 (Y-axis maximum rate, mm/min)
$112 = 500.000 (Z-axis maximum rate, mm/min)
$120 = 15.000 (X-axis acceleration, mm/sec^2)
$121 = 15.000 (Y-axis acceleration, mm/sec^2)
$122 = 10.000 (Z-axis acceleration, mm/sec^2)
$130 = 1040.000 (X-axis maximum travel, millimeters)
$131 = 1628.000 (Y-axis maximum travel, millimeters)
$132 = 71.000 (Z-axis maximum travel, millimeters)
ok

Is "jog the machine" a physical act, like bumping a pinball machine? Verify connections.

Arduinos are designed for experimentation and learning, often used with breadboards and loose wires, which can become unreliable if vibrated. They are not built for harsh, dirty, or electrically noisy environments commonly found in industrial, automotive, or other commercial applications, making them unsuitable for such settings.

To ensure we can provide the most accurate assistance, please include detailed information about your setup. Specify the exact board, shield, wiring configuration, and power sources you are using. An annotated schematic is ideal, as it provides a clear overview of your setup, but be sure to also include links to the technical specifications of your hardware components. Clear pictures may also help.

Before posting your code, please review the forum guidelines and use code tags for better readability. Also, provide links to the technical information about your hardware, and include a preliminary schematic that shows all power, ground, and connections. For additional guidance, you can refer to this link: Useful Links and Tutorials. Note that in this context, breadboard diagrams are not considered proper schematics.

Yes it is a manual action.

gilshultz, I will work on this. Like I said I am New to the forum. I'm learning as I go. So for give me that I don't have the knowledge that you think you have Sir. Again I do thank you for the advice.

Which numbers does the IDE give when you compile/upload? An Uno has 2048 bytes of RAM.

If the memory report states that you have used e.g. 2000 bytes, you will indeed run into problems at run time and it might be why it does not work.

If the memory report states that you have used 1700 bytes it might or might not causing problem at run time.

I'm not familiar with GRBL so can't advise further.

If this is stored in memory you probably do not have enough as @sterretje suggests. You can get a FRAM module and use that memory for storage, they are not that expensive. Using it is like EEPROM and does not forget when power fails. Using this will free a lot of ram. It has almost unlimited read and writes. The one I use is 32K x 8, that stores just over 32,000 characters with the advantage no delays as you would need with EEPROM.

To use, you will have to do a sketch that writes your tables into it and note the address things are stored at. Then you go to your operational code and run that. During power off etc the FRAM memory will keep all the data stored therein.

This page has four links: (1) Connecting controller (2) Configuration (3) Usage (4) Troubleshooting. Maybe you can start with #4 to see if you recognize your symptoms. TAKE NOTES and RETURN HERE to tell us what you find, or if at least, any step does not make sense so you can get through the first two steps and maybe the third.

For reference, the github repository for UGS

Someone built one working with Arduino. Schematic at 9m45s, hardware description immediately follows:

Part II for software loading (Arduino, UGS software, Fusion360 (for creating drawings).

I have this running on each motor. (Microstep Driver M422) I don't have wiring Diagram as of yet but working on one. The wiring looks the same as the photo.. I have verified it as well.


jPTKIXwpI9SrF3eKLMe.jpeg)