Arduino Uno R3

I cannot intall a USB driver for the Arduino Uno. I see an arduino.inf file in my extracted drivers files, but Windows does not install it.

Does anyone know how to get a USB driver for the Uno installed on Windows 8.1?

Thank you.

Check whether the chip near the USB socket on the board says ATmega16U2. If you have an unofficial Uno compatible board then it might use a different USB chip like CH340, and thus require a different driver that is not included with the Arduino IDE.

Yes, that is the chip by the USB port. Windows tells me that the third party inf does not contain digital signature information when I try to install the driver.

Hello there!

Can you tell me which of the two chips you see? It should look something like one of the pictures below.

USB2SerialConvs.png

USB2SerialConvs.png

ATmega16U. The one on the right.

Great. See my post on flashing the USB drivers and firmware etc. You'll have to download Atmel Flip.

Where are the USB ICSP and Ground pins?

I think I found the pins. The top right and bottom right pins above the ATmega16u2 chip. Right?

+++<—
+++<—

Correct?

16U2’s ICSP is 6-pin male connector above the 16U2. The pin marked with the dot is 1 - MISO. The GND is diagonally opposite. In any case, you can check it in UNO schematics (tech. doc.), e.g.:

I cannot get the driver to install from the Artel download.

I also tried to disable the driver signature requirement on Windows 8.1. It still says a problem occurred in installation.

If I pick a file from Arduino or Artel, it tries Arduino Uno.

If I search online it picks Arduino Uno R3.

None of these install, or there was a problem.

could it be my firewall? What should the actual installation file look like? The .inf files do not appear to work.

Did you follow my other post?

Which post? The one on Artel does not work.

I am afraid to get another board, if this is an Arduino programming problem with Windows 8.1.

DOES ANYONE ELSE ON THIS SITE HAVE SUGGESTIONS?

ARE THERE DRIVERS SOMEWHERE ON THE SITE FOR WINDOWS 7, 8.1, AND 10 ETC.

If you are to try and program via he icsp , either use the programmer you have ( with its driver )or use an Arduino as a programmer. Choose upload using programmer.

1.When I try to install the driver, it tells me:

installing driver, then

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attmpting to install it

Arduino Uno

The system cannot find the file specified.

(That is from the Arduino install).

1. If I go online, it tries to install and I get the message it tried to install Arduino UNO R3

2. I cannot use the FLIP program either, because it won't recognize the Arduino Uno R3 or anything on the USB port. "atlibusbdfu.dll not found"