Arduino uno x2 + Xbee x2 Configuration/Communication

Hello, i m new in Arduino, so i guess that’s why i have problems with ‘easy stuff’.

I have few problems with my Arduino uno + Xbee:

1. I have configurated both Xbees (1 as coordinator, 2 as router) but when i copied simple code from example to sent data through COM, it didn’t work.

So i thought maybe i configurated Xbees wrong, i have only one adapter so i decided to use arduino uno board to configurate secound Xbee module through XCTU.

2. When i connect all neccesery wires, XCTU sees Arduino Uno board but doesn’t see XBee connected.

So i don’t know what am i doing wrong here. I read/watched many tutorials and i ’ tried many different ways to configurate/communicate but none of this worked for me so far.

I 'm using Arduino uno boards and Xbees Pro S2B.

I tried to configurate them separetly (same PAN, checked DH and DL) but still nothing. I can’t check them on XCTU because my connection between Arduino board(i tried to configurate it without microcontroller).

If i can attache anything please tell me.

Tomal: [u]1. I have configurated both Xbees (1 as coordinator, 2 as router) but when i copied simple code from example to sent data through COM, it didn't work.[/u]

Can you post the configuration settings (ALL OF THE SETTINGS - for both XBees)?

Tomal: [u]2. When i connect all neccesery wires, XCTU sees Arduino Uno board but doesn't see XBee connected.[/u]

What error does the XCTU throw? Did you check to see if your PC is successfully communicating with the explorer (else it would say something like "unknown device" in the Windows Device Manager app (not sure about other OS's)? If your explorer is properly communicating with your PC, you probably are trying to connect to the explorer at the wrong baud. If neither is the case, you have faulty hardware - either explorer, usb cable, or XBee.

Thanks for your replay,

ad.1 ) So ithink those are the most important. Can't fill more on pic.

Coordinator config Router config

ad.2) Well i forgot to mention, i don't use explorer. I read that you can directly connect xbee module to arduino (TX->Tx, Rx->Rx, without microcontroller). XCTU sees arduino board, but when i try to find it (in "discover radio devices") it just says that no diveces could be found. So no error, just doesn't see my Xbee connected to arduino uno board.

Well according to baud - set both to 9600 (during configuration and in arduino code).

Tomal: ad.2) Well i forgot to mention, i don't use explorer. I read that you can directly connect xbee module to arduino...

FALSE!!!

XBees are 3V3 devices and 5V will kill it!!

Tomal: (TX->Tx, Rx->Rx, without microcontroller)

FALSE again. It should be TX -> RX, RX - TX.

Either way, XCTU might not be able to find it since you may have fried the XBee. Can you post a schematic of your setup?

Tomal: ad.1 ) So ithink those are the most important. Can't fill more on pic.

Images aren't posted correct, but I was able to find them.

The configs look ok to me (but to be honest, I've only used S1s and not S2Cs - so take my word with a grain of salt). Try resetting both of them to the factory defaults and see if you can't get them to talk in transparent mode before moving to API mode.

Power_Broker: FALSE!!!

XBees are 3V3 devices and 5V will kill it!!

FALSE again. It should be TX -> RX, RX - TX.

Either way, XCTU might not be able to find it since you may have fried the XBee. Can you post a schematic of your setup?

Images aren't posted correct, but I was able to find them.

The configs look ok to me (but to be honest, I've only used S1s and not S2Cs - so take my word with a grain of salt). Try resetting both of them to the factory defaults and see if you can't get them to talk in transparent mode before moving to API mode.

1. I connected it to 3.3V, don't worry i can read :).
  2. But i want to connect it just to configurate thourgh XCTU, not to transmit data with arduino. Are u sure that it should be Tx->Rx ? I watched a tutorial and it says that it should be Tx->Tx, if u are just want to configurate thourgh XCTU. :) Just asking.

Tomal: 1. I connected it to 3.3V, don't worry i can read :)

The digital pins on the Arduino are 5V, though.

Tomal: 2. But i want to connect it just to configurate thourgh XCTU, not to transmit data with arduino. Are u sure that it should be Tx->Rx ? I watched a tutorial and it says that it should be Tx->Tx, if u are just want to configurate thourgh XCTU. :) Just asking.

Can you link that tutorial? I don't believe it for a second. TX goes to RX and vice versa. This is a well known fact in UART comms.

tutorial

Next time, do not PM me.

Ok, so I see what he’s doing here. I thought you were trying to use the Arduino to talk with the XBee, but instead, you’re actually just making use of the USB to TTL converter on the Arduino and bypassing everything else. While this may work, I find it quite ridiculous and you should use an explorer instead.

Since you are using the Arduino’s USB to TTL converter, you need to select the Arduino COM port in the XCTU when searching for the XBee.

Sorry.

Yea, that is what i am doing there. Maybe i wasn't clear enough. XCTU sees my arduino uno. But it's unable to find Xbee connected to it.

I connect just Xbee to arduino and arduino board to PC via USB.

I have one adapter, so i can configurate one Xbee at time - so both are working because i 'm able to configurate them.

So i'm pretty sure,i connect everything good. I made a research, befor posting here :P.

This is how i connect it to arduino (without microcontroller ofc): |500x281

Power_Broker: Since you are using the Arduino's USB to TTL converter, you need to select the Arduino COM port in the XCTU when searching for the XBee.

Be aware that the tutorial you linked is ONLY for configuration (PC to XBee), NOT Arduino to XBee comms.

Yea i know, but i just wanted to test on XCTU 2 XBees (through AT console) , to check if it can communicate. I don't have 2 adapters (to connect it directly) so i wanted to use arduino as an adapter.

I try to find out in which part i make a mistake.

If XBees can communicate on XCTU that means, i ' m doing something wrong with arduino and xbee connection. But it's another issue.

So basically i just want to know why XCTU doesn't see XBee (when it's connected through arduino uno), but it recognise Arduino Board. So my conclusion is, that i connected Xbee wrong to Arduino, but i can't find another way to do that. I have all drivers - otherwise my PC and XCTU wouldn't recognise Arduino/ or adapter with XBee i guess.

If XCTU communication will work, than i will try to check Arduino Uno Boards.

Anyway thank you for replays.

Oh my gosh, can you read? DID YOU NOT SEE WHAT I WROTE YOU EARLIER? I literally gave you the answer to your problem!!!

When searching for the XBee with he XCTU software, SELECT THE ARDUINO COM PORT.

I hate to yell, but it's like I'm talking to a wall here.

… i already did this, not working… seems like we don’t understand each other. I select this COM port but it doesn’t find XBee on it… That’s what i m trying to tell u…

Tomal:
Sorry.

Yea, that is what i am doing there. Maybe i wasn’t clear enough. XCTU sees my arduino uno. But it’s unable to find Xbee connected to it…

This is basically what i said many potes above so please don’t be mad. If it would be so easy belive me i would do that long time ago.

It's ok. XBees are not always easy to work with. I've been wrestling with my own the past couple of days.

I don't know what to tell you except that you may have destroyed your XBee and that you should do yourself a favor and get another explorer.

Wait, does the baud for your XBee (in its new configuration) and the baud for the XCTU match? If they don't match, XCTU will not recognize the XBee.