Availability of 2 digit 7 segment 2/4 wire display?

I saw this instructable on a 4 digit 7 segment, 2 wire display ... but I'm looking for a small 2 digit display that won't require a lot of available pins.

I just need a display to show numbers 0 - 99 when using a rotary encoder.

The overall project is to add preset value to a guitar effect pedal, and you can see the details here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=475097.0

Does something like this exist out there? I ran a Google search but didn't find anything.

Or should I be looking for a small LCD instead of a segment display?

a 128x128 LCD is easier to handle than 2x 7segment display + controller chips (unless using MANY I/O lines)

or: 8 digits (you can unplug one of the two 4-blocks)

Thanks for the recommendation, but a 128x128 panel won't fit in the enclosure.

I was hoping to find a 2x7 segment display with an integrated shift register, or integrated driver/controller, for ease of use. I see the 8 digit one you posted ... something like that, but only 2 digits.

Maybe they aren't out there?

Search Ebay for 74HC595 2-digit module e.g. 2-3-4-digit

I2C only seems to have 4 digit modules e.g. 4-digit

david_prentice: Search Ebay for 74HC595 2-digit module e.g. 2-3-4-digit

I2C only seems to have 4 digit modules e.g. 4-digit

That's perfect, thanks!

I just learned of the 7447 7 segment driver IC, and wondering why folks seem to use shift registers instead of the 7447 IC?

I'm planning to use two 7 segment display to show the position of a rotary encoder from 0 - 99. Using shift registers, it seems I'd have to send an awful lot of messages while the rotary encoder is being turned. Wouldn't using a 7447 chip be a more efficient way? Or does a 7447 not play nicely with an arduino?