avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Hello there, I have an UNO r3 that is throwing avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 whenever I try to upload a program. I have tried on two Macs and one Windows 8 machine, all three configured properly to the setup guide. Here is the full avrdude log:

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 19:38:36
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : \\.\COM3
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: 
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.

The program is the example blink. I have tried both of my USB cables and multiple USB ports. I have reuploaded the .hex successfully.

I think you tried everything... The error means that the Arduino IDE can not communicate with the Arduino board at all. Just as if it is not connected at all.

You can try 'lsusb' in linux or have a look at the Device Manager in Windows. Perhaps something shows (but I doubt it).

I can see it and install drivers for it in Device Manager just fine.

That means that the usb-to-serial chip is working. But the main microcontroller, the ATmega328p is either damaged or has a bad bootloader.

With a programmer it is possible to burn the bootloader.

I think you have to buy a new Arduino board. Perhaps you can try to burn a bootloader to this one some day.

I bought a new Arduino Uno, coming in two days.I have a nano, is it possible to use that one to flash the boot loader, if so, how would I go about doing that from a nano?

Search for : Arduino ISP Those examples use the Uno as a programmer, but the Nano is almost the same. You can use it to burn the bootloader of the Uno. The command to burn the bootloader is in the menu.

You have to be careful when to select which board. Select the Nano and upload the ISP sketch. After that select the Uno and burn the bootloader. The 'burn bootloader' command looks for a programmer, and finds the Arduino ISP.

I have the same problem with my Ardunio UNO board. -> avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I have used all means including re-installing the firm ware into the atmega16U2, plus new boot loaders for the atmega328p etc, with my AVR Dragon etc. NONE WORKED... IT IS NOT THE BOOT LOADER!

There is a defect in you atmega16U2, the atmel's USB chip on the UNO. You can proove this by taking the atmega328p chip out of a bad board and putting it in a new board. Mine programs just fine, in the NEW board.

And yes all the fuse settings on the atmega328p were identical to one shipped on the UNO board.

The DAMAGED UNO board can be used with a AVR MKII programmer, just plug the MKII into the 6 pin ISP headers adjacent to the top [PIN 0 ] of the chip, with Atmel Stdio 6.1. Do some home work on the board, and the MKII and you can program the chip just fine. But the USB port on a damaged UNO is only good for power.

ALSO both of my AVR MKII and my AVR Dragons USB power controller chips went up in smoke, SO .... ATMEL has a problem with these devices, pertaining to USB power issues. Be careful and don't over tax the USB system on your PC. If the power gets dragged down by to many devices attached to your PC, the power regulator on your board, will bake itself trying to keep 5V and the 500mA.

That' s why there is an external 9v barrel jack on the UNO board... Use it..

I have spent may hours getting to the bottom of this problem. Unfortunately you do need to get a new board.

PS: Don't mess with usbtiny and other "Open/Fee -Bee" programmers on Windows 8! The usb device must have a valid Vendor ID!, No amount of "tricks" will allow the Win8 system to bypass this! Pay the $37 bucks for a Real AVR MKII. its a good investment...

Same problem but new scene: I have a bundle (many) Arduino clones (cheap) that I've used over the years for little LED projects. All have built in FTDI chips for uploading sketches. Were working fine until last week when FTDI & Windows installed new drivers rendering the FTDI chip a brick. Now I can't upload anymore sketches. That is until I found my UartSBee. I thought that I could just connect the TX, RX, DTS (to RTN), GND & Power then upload sketches. Wrong! The familiar and dreaded avrdude sync error prevents uploading. I've tried every board listed in the Arduino program to no avail. My question is: Isn't the UartSBee board equal to Adafruit's FTDI Friend? I see that others are uploading sketches to their Arduino's using the Friend and having some luck. I'm not having any luck. Oh wise ones, any ideas where I'm going wrong. Going bonkers here. Thanks.

When Avrdude echo's a non-connect on a Windows OS and that port is defined as COM,3, it is very, very likely you have not set the Arduino GUI to the USB enumerated serial port. COM3 is a defacto port on Windows machines and often the SoftModem chip on the system board... The PC may not even have the modem software installed and still get this message.

Try Tools --> Ports to determine if the GUI can recognize other ports that may be associated with USB.

If COM3 really is the Arduino port, it will go-away and not be visible if the Uno is unplugged. IF the port comes & goes, try using Device Manager to install/reinstall the driver.

Ray

Windows Device Manager COM LPT ports: I unplug Arduino and COM port disappears, replug and it appears. Works just fine. Driver installs. I can change COM ports in advanced but why? Any other advice? Lost...

Same problem but new scene: I have a bundle (many) Arduino clones (cheap) that I've used over the years for little LED projects. All have built in FTDI chips for uploading sketches. Were working fine until last week when FTDI & Windows installed new drivers rendering the FTDI chip a brick. Now I can't upload anymore sketches.

Here on this forum was already discussed problem with counterfeit FTDI chips on cheap Arduino clones. New driver caused malfunction of those. Try to use driver for FTDI 2.8.30.0, but I am recommending to search forum for answers and to read about this problem first because it could be more complicated. I read something as the new driver also make changes in EEPROM inside of counterfeit FTDI so in that case revert action could be needed.

That is until I found my UartSBee. I thought that I could just connect the TX, RX, DTS (to RTN), GND & Power then upload sketches. Wrong!...

If you want to use Tx & Rx pin, no other device cannot be connected because of impedance problem. It cause that response from MCU is not received. Probably it is your problem. When you connected external FTDI the on-board one is also connected I think.

fredolivas: Same problem but new scene: I have a bundle (many) Arduino clones (cheap) that I've used over the years for little LED projects. All have built in FTDI chips for uploading sketches. Were working fine until last week when FTDI & Windows installed new drivers rendering the FTDI chip a brick. Now I can't upload anymore sketches. That is until I found my UartSBee. I thought that I could just connect the TX, RX, DTS (to RTN), GND & Power then upload sketches. Wrong! The familiar and dreaded avrdude sync error prevents uploading. I've tried every board listed in the Arduino program to no avail. My question is: Isn't the UartSBee board equal to Adafruit's FTDI Friend? I see that others are uploading sketches to their Arduino's using the Friend and having some luck. I'm not having any luck. Oh wise ones, any ideas where I'm going wrong. Going bonkers here. Thanks.

Are you the same fredolivas that reported "none of my 'Duino boards would sync up and accept sketches"?

fredolivas: I uninstalled the Arduino 1.0.6 and reinstalled because none of my 'Duino boards would sync up and accept sketches. Compiled fine, proper board selected, COM port checked and drivers loaded: but NO UPLOAD. I've returned an Arduino MEGA, Micro and a few others believing that they were broken. But now I just don't know. I even purchased an Arduino Light USB adapter to upload sketches (COM port 3 and compiles just fine) but still don't have any luck. Updated Java also. Don't know where to go from here. The ONLY Arduino board that DID work was my Duemilenove board. COM8 port. What's going on here? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

OK, so now they are clones, and they have been used "over the years". So this is hardly an installation problem if you have been using them for years, and it looks very much like a cross-post.

Please do not cross-post. This wastes time and resources as people attempt to answer your question on multiple threads.

Have you considered contacting the people that supplied these "cheap clones"? Surely they should take the burden of fixing this issue?

Don't know where to go from here.

Buy the official board. Or go to the supplier's web site. Problem solved.

Next time when you complain on this forum, mention that you are using cheap clones.

I had the same problem. Tried everything and nothing worked. I burned bootloader with avrIsp and it works again.

But in my case, I had two arduino that had the same problem... so, when I tried the second arduino and it didn't work neither, I was sure the problem was not the arduino...

I think the cause is connecting power wires to arduino when wires are powered. It sparks and erase a part of the flash. This is not the first time I have this issue, not only with arduino.

avrdude stk500_getsync() not in sync resp=0x00 uno i did my best to solve this problem but i fail , the board is new and i connect it the the right board and i select the right serial port ,please help me if you have any other solution

Where did you get the board from? Post a link.

What ports do you have in the IDE with the board disconnected and what ports when connected?

I ran into this problem with an Arduino clone. In my case, the data transfer rate set by the board selection was not working with the clone, even though I was using the recommended selection.

My approach is described in the post "Programmer is not responding/not in sync", and shows the process I followed under Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows 7.

The board selection sets several parameters that are used by the avrdude program. Setting verbose output for uploads in Preferences lets you see the avrdude command and its parameters, copy and paste the command into a terminal windows, and delete the -b parameter that sets the upload speed.

When I removed the -b parameter and executed the command, my upload worked.

Unfortunately, it looks like this error message can come from a myriad of causes.....and I still haven't found mine.

There was a previous thread (http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=28223.0) with a lot of suggestions for some of the causes but in my case everything is pointing to my ATMEGA328P.

Just got out my Uno after shelving it a long while back when I got frustrated with this problem. Since then I bought another Uno. After swapping the two boards and also swapping the chips between the boards it seems my problem is following the chip. One works perfectly, the other yields the dreaded "Re: avrdude......." response when trying to download.

My question now becomes: Is this chip toast or is there some way to salvage it for tomorrow? I've seen bootloading, parallel processors and other things mentioned as possibilities.

You can use one board to bootload the other see Nick Gammon's sketch here.

Chilli - Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that tomorrow. Meanwhile I had tried the Arduino ISP solution (http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP) to no avail.

I'm afraid things are looking bad for the troubled AT.