Choosing the right motor for Arduino Nano Motor Carier

Hi, I'm creating an RC car project, choosing the right DC motor with an encoder for use with Arduino Nano Motor Carier.

Either I don't understand something, or finding a suitable motor for this shield is difficult. The main limitation I encountered is the low 500mA current that the Motor Carrier outputs. Most motors I see on the market have a much higher stall current.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem and how did you solve it?

My Tech Specs:

Arduino Nano Motor Carier:

• Max Input voltage (power terminals): 4V (1S Li-Ion Battery)
  • Motor driver output voltage: 12V
  • Max output current per motor driver: 500 mA
  • Weight: 35 g

Zeee 1S Lipo Batería 3.7V 120C 8000mAh:

• Battery Voltage: 3.7 V
  • Configuration: 1S2P
  • Capacity: 8000 mAh
  • Discharge Rate: 120C
  • Weight: 155.5 g

Wheels

• Diameter: 70 mm
  • Weight: ‎358 g

May I ask if you are planning to use a motor with an encoder or a servo?

I'm creating an RC car project, so I'm looking for a DC motor with/without an encoder.

After a long search I found this model: Micro Metal Geared motor w/Encoder – 6V 530RPM 30:1

I'm still searching, so I'll be glad to see your suggestions. :pray:

One spec certainly should be how fast you want the motor output to turn, RPM.

Choosing the right motor RPM and corresponding gear ratio is a challenge for me, as I'm new to this. After researching motors and calculating approximate speeds using AI, I'm considering motors with at least 500 RPM. Now, I'm trying to understand which gear ratio is good enough, since higher gear ration means lower RPMs.

Remember, the device moves the circumference of the wheel for every turn.

1 Like

Thank you for such an important notice!

I'll leave here a GPT prompt for calculating the linear speed for future newbies like me :slight_smile:

Prompt

Calculate the linear speed in meters per second for a 70mm diameter wheel connected to a motor with a speed of 15000 RPM and a gear reduction ratio of 30:1

Answer

Here's how to calculate the linear speed:

1. Gear Reduction:

• A gear reduction ratio of 30:1 means the output shaft (connected to the wheel) rotates 30 times slower than the motor shaft.
  • Effective RPM of the wheel: 15000 RPM / 30 = 500 RPM

2. Convert RPM to Radians Per Second:

• Radians per revolution: 2 * pi
  • Radians per minute: 500 RPM * 2 * pi = 1000 * pi radians/minute
  • Radians per second: (1000 * pi radians/minute) / 60 seconds/minute = 52.36 radians/second

3. Calculate Linear Speed:

• Radius: Diameter / 2 = 70 mm / 2 = 35 mm = 0.035 meters
  • Linear Speed: Radius * Angular Velocity
    • Linear Speed = 0.035 meters * 52.36 radians/second = 1.83 meters/second

Therefore, the linear speed of the wheel is approximately 1.83 meters per second.