Decoupling capacitors - can electrolytic and ceramic pins soldered together?

Hello,

I am making a circuit but i did some research and found out that i should use a 100uF electrolytic capacitor in parallel with a 100nF ceramic capacitor to smooth out the DC voltage, by connecting both capacitors between VCC and GND. But before i build it, i want to ask if it's OK to just solder the pins together before i place these capacitors on the PCB? What is the best way of doing it? I am not very experienced with PCB design so i'm a bit reluctant and afraid that i might end up creating a big useless goo of components and solder on the PCB.

I am using a single-sided PCB and these are the two capacitors:

Yes you can solder them together. If you haven't designed the board yet, they should each have their own holes. The decoupling/bypass capacitor(s) should be physically-close to the chip(s).

The electrolytic can go anywhere, even off the board at the power supply. (The power supply should already have a filter capacitor, so you may not need to add another one).

If the board isn't designed for it, you'll have to figure out the best way to do it. It might be easier to solder the larger cap first, mounted above the board so you an solder the smaller capacitor's leads to it. Or, you may be able to "tack" one of the capacitors on the back-side of the board. If you have a DIP-package IC, you can solder the capacitor leads to the chip. If you do that, sometimes it's "nice" to put some heat shrink or "spaghetti" tubing on the exposed leads.

A possible solution is to solder the electrolytic in place , the cut back the leads on the other capacitor and solder it onto the back of the board.
Depending on the application you might get away with not fitting the ceramic anyway