DFPlayer Distorted Sound

Im working on a simple MP3 player for a relative, using an arduino uno and a DFplayer mini.
The wiring is simple enough, but whatever it try the sound is simply distorted. The only suggested fix i have found is the power the DFplayer with its own 5v power, which i have tried with no difference. I have another df board on order, but i was wondering if anyone has had the same issue?

p.s this is not a digital noise issue, i have 1k resistors on the TX/RX lines which has cleaned that up.

Thanks in advance.

Does the same MP3 (or WAV) sound OK on the computer?

Maybe the volume is turned-up too much? Is it related to volume? Boosting with EQ can also cause distortion.

Are you sure the speaker is OK?

the files play fine on any other machine, and ive tried a few speakers. hopefully its just a faulty board and im not missing something obvious.

Hello, @oliclarke, are the speakers you are using >= 3W? Or do you not know? Are the speakers 8 ohms? If not then I suggest you buy some new speakers. I had the same problem and the way I solved the problem was by checking to see if the speaker was 8 ohms and < 3W (NOT EQUAL TO!). What I think happened is that you fried your MP3 player, I did the same as well, so that means you’ll have to use lower wattage speakers, along with low ohms, so no heat dissipates. I have a link so you can buy some speakers if you did burn your MP3 player (not sure how big you want the speaker) and they’re 1W 8ohm:

Aliexpress:

Aliexpress 5pc Speakers

Amazon:

Amazon 4pc Speakers

Ebay:

Ebay 2pc Speakers