ESP8266 power led not on

Just got my first esp 8266 wired it up via a logic level converter when power was applied i got a brief blue flash and then nothing. i hoked it up to my lab bench power supply (just the vcc and the gnd) and it was trying to draw more then an amp and not reaching 3.3v. it was acting as though there was a short how do i tell if that is the case

Perhaps you zapped it when you had it connected the first time.
Who knows?

ESP8266 is an IC that runs on 3.3V .

That happens when you have the voltage to hi. Only a few nano seconds and it is gone. It sounds like you got milliseconds. Put on the wall to remind you to check voltages and polarities before powering devices. I would suggest you do some research on electronics, power etc. Why not start over by defining the problem with specifications including a flow chart and schematic. Define what is the expected outcome. Purchase the Arduino cookbook and read it, this will give you some basics. also use the online tutorials and videos available, there are many good ones on this web site. At this point you will be able to define the problem and may have already solved it. If you do not understand a part expect to possibly fry a few of them.