How to measure a vehicle with a high accuracy with mm?

Hi Friends,

I wanna build a autonomous vehicle with a high accuracy of the position of it. I mean, the x and y coordinates. But it should be with a margin of error under 10mm. It will only move within a room.

So, my question is: how could I measure the x y coordinates with a high precision accuracy ?

Are there any laser pointing modules for arduino ?

What will the base line be for the x and the y?
Paul

Will this be a ground-based vehicle or a flying vehicle (which is what most people mean when they talk about a "drone")?

As for lasers try a search for "Arduino LIDAR".

Steve

Indoors, this is difficult and expensive. Options range from ceiling mounted (and wall, for 3D coordinates) cameras connected to a PC doing image processing, to the commercially available Pozyx system. https://pozyx.io/

Outdoors and also expensive, use RTK GPS, such as C93-M8E | u-blox

sorry falks, late answer.

the title had a mistake. it is not a drone. it is going to roll on wheels. I only need accurate distance measuring... any idea ?

Same question. Any answer?
Paul

what do you mean by "base line" ? Okay, here are the facts:

• it is a vehicle on wheels
  • it is powered by arduino
  • i need a very very accurate distance measurmeant for both axises

To measure any DISTANCE, you must have two points. Where is your beginning point?
Paul

okay i explained it badly. sorry about that. let me tell it with other words:

imagine, the vehicle is in a room. The room has the folliwng dimensions:

x: 10meters
y': 10meters

So, the x axsis begins from, let's say 0m, and ends on 10m. The same applies for the y axis.

Here os my aim: I want Arduino measure an absolute accrute Position of the vehicle, for example: x=3,56m and y=2,23m

Now understand my aim :smiley: ? I need somethink like GPS, but absolutely not usable for my project. Maybe measuring it with radiation 433Mhz ? Or with a laser ?

I thought for 2 Laser (x,y) or 2 433Mhz (x,y)

No. See reply #4.

okay, got it. with camera could be an option for me.

I have a great idea... but I must think about it carefuly :smiley:

i have a really really great idea...

Boeing Aircraft assembled their 747s in Everett Washington with a ceiling mounted system that functioned similar to GPS and gave 1mm or less measurements.
Paul

okay, first of all: I did not tell you the truth: actually, it is not going to be a vehicle "on wheels". It is going to move on tracks, like these ones:

Maybe you falks do now have a really really high accurate distance measuring method ?? (I have a good idea, but first, I wanna hear your suggestions)

So why have you wasted all our time with meaningless chit chat?
Paul

before I began the chat, I had no idea, but during these posts, a light went on in my brain :smiley:
and the reason why I said "on wheels", was, because I first wanted to hear other "good" options.

anyway, do you guys now have a good idea for accuracy of 5mm on each axis ?? I have one

Then tell us, it will stop everyone who has the same idea wasting thier time telling you.

You will be able to go a long ways in politics.
Paul

Okay, sorry, thought there is no interest.. okay, but than I wanna hear your opinions to my suggestions:

first of all, I wanna say, this: okay, a 3D printer is really accurate, right ? there a no sensors no nothing. Also on PLASMA CNC CUTTING machines, there are no sensors eather, right ? But what happen du a x,x axis with a range up to 20 meters ? Are they accurate enough with a error margon of +-5mm ?? I guess no, right ?

So, here is my suggestions..

the are Wire-resistors. So, why not wire a 20 meter wire resistor, and measure the current constantly ? Understand ?

Second idea is: let us place every 5mm a resistor, than we have to measure the current. Note: the resistors must be wired in line.

third idea: let us place a yardstick on all tracks, than install a camera, and calculate the numbers.

good ideas ? or do you have better ideas ?

1 Like

sorry, i wanted to say x,y axis instead of x,x axis