I got my nextion display today so downloaded the ITEADLIB_Arduino_Nextion-Master library
I looked inside the zip file and in there is an examples folder with 16 examples ( see pic below)
I used the arduino to install the library from the zip.
Now when I go to file/examples/ITEADLIB_Arduino_Nextion-Master it shows only
3 examples ( see other pic)
Why cant I see all 16 , why are 13 missing , what have I done wrong ?
I was hoping someone else would reply as your question is more about how libraries and examples work than about Nextion specifically. I can't help with your question, sorry.
Support for Nextion on these fora is pretty much as follows:
You can follow the methods I set out in using Nextion displays with Arduino. My methods do not use the Nextion libraries, so while I am happy to offer help on using my methods I cannot offer anything very helpful for any Nextion library.
The original Nextion libraries are full of bugs. There is a link from my tutorial to some improved Nextion libraries created by Ray Livingston, I suggest those might be worth trying if you prefer to use a library.
There's also a separate Easy Nextion Library by Seithan, his methods are different to mine, choose which works best for you.
Beyond that the odd person occasionally offers a bit of help but not much.
The problem is that, for some inexplicable reason, the folks at ITEAD added version numbers to the sketch filenames. The Arduino IDE requires that the sketch folder name match the primary sketch filename. If this is not the case, the Arduino IDE doesn't recognize the example. For example, the "CompButton" example folder contains a primary sketch file named "CompButton_v0_32.ino".
If you rename the sketch file to CompButton.ino and restart the Arduino IDE, you will then see the example in the File > Examples > ITEADLIB_Arduino_Nextion-master menu.
Another option is to use the File > Open dialog to open the examples. The Arduino IDE will inform you of the name mismatch issue and offer to automatically move the sketch to a folder with the correct name.
This issue was reported to ITEAD 1.5 years ago, and the fix would take only a couple of minutes, but ITEAD has not responded in any way:
It's pretty sad that ITEAD apparently doesn't have the most fundamental understanding of Arduino sketches hasn't done the most basic testing to make sure this library is working correctly. It's understandable when the developer of a free open source hobby project doesn't have the time to properly maintain it, but when it's a simple and obvious fix for a defect in software that supports a company's commercial products I simply can't comprehend this behavior.