Mechanism, Linkage, Gear Design

I am having the hardest time trying to find the proper terms to find resources for designing mechanisms, linkages, ect. I used to prototype them using cardboard, this is taking way to long, and I know there has got to be a way to calculate all of these things. I'm looking more for beginner resources. I havn't had much calculus, some precalc, and some trig, but I'm willing to learn what I need to understand it. I spent some time messing with a klann linkage simulator, and am trying to figure out how to design such motions, and rotations.

My eventual goal is to design a claw for my next robot, but I've been having a hard time finding any resources, I think my problem is I don't know the right google terms.

Thanks,
Brandon

I think it will help people (and me) to answer if you make some sketches (hand drawn, simple pen and paper) to demonstrate what do you want to achieve.

Here is a link that may help.

http://www.robotshop.com/forum/mechanical-design-simulation-t8810

i wholly agree with arslanzaidi in the fact that more information is needed to answer your question
//rant warning\
anytime you use a forum, make sure you provide sufficient information
we will be able to assist you more efficiently
having more info than needed is better than not enough info
//END RANT\
that aside please post a sketch of your desired linkage and we will be happy to help

I tried drawing an example, but I am stuck with poor lighting, and not very artist, and didn't think it would be as helpful. This link here: http://www.mekanizmalar.com/mechanicalspider.html is a simulation of a certain type of linkage. I am looking for resources that would allow me to design, and build such a structure, and how to calculate it's paths, ect.

I'm trying to find resources for designing parts/and mechanisms such as this

or this without having to rely on my trial and error method of cardboard. I want to try and be smarter about the process by learning how to design/draft it all out on paper before I even start shaping my prototype materials.

Thanks, hopefully that's enough information to clarify the question.

linkage.jpg

ShallonDark:
I'm trying to find resources for designing parts/and mechanisms such as this
I want to try and be smarter about the process by learning how to design/draft it all out on paper before I even start shaping my prototype materials.

Thanks, hopefully that's enough information to clarify the question.

Learning to draw , art school.

There are 3D drawing packages that will let you design and animate assembleys but in themselves they are complex and take time to master.
Some cad have mechanical linkage libraries as well.

Understanding mechanical linkages , thats 4 yrs mech eng degree plus years of experience.

Im not trying to be difficult but You have asked a wide ranging question i feel hard to answer.
Do you have something specific you are attempting to do ?

I learned a lot about this as a youngestr playing with mechano if thats still about

Edit

I would add that mechanicll claw /imitating the human hand is aparticularly difficult challenge , even for th experts.
There have been competitions for this sort of thing.

Maybe some of the images link to what you want:
HERE

You might find it interesting to poke around KMODDL

Search youtube for "linkages", and don't miss these: