Mega R3 with CH340 - USB device not recognised. Win 10 IDE 1.6.5

Hi,

I just got a second mega R3 (but with CH340 USB chip). When I plugged into a usb port Windows 10 reports 'USB device not recognised'.

I can see this seems to be a common problem but cannot find a Windows 10 solution that works. There was one solution that implied I should have a Mega driver in Arduino/drivers, but I only see FTDI drivers there and some setup files e.g. Arduino.

I (think) I have already loaded CH340 drivers (about 6 times), but because the Mega is not recognised, I do not think my pc gets far enough to load the CH340 drivers.

Please help.

I am at IDE 1.6.5

Thanks

Have you run the CH341SER.exe driver installer? The drivers for CH340G are NOT included with arduino IDE.

That should install CH340G drivers.

You mention another mega. Does that one also use CH340G? Does it work? If you have another working one with CH340G, it's not a driver problem...

Is there a hardware device in device manager with the trouble icon next to it?

Do you get a "this device has malfunctioned" message when plugging it in?

Hi DrAzzy,

Thanks for responding

Have you run the CH341SER.exe driver installer? The drivers for CH340G are NOT included with arduino IDE. 

That should install CH340G drivers.

Yes - and did so again, it installs CH341.INF and reports ' This driver is successfully Pre-installed in Advance', so I hope that means it has :confused:

You mention another mega. Does that one also use CH340G? Does it work? 
If you have another working one with CH340G, it's not a driver problem...

The other has an Atmel 16U2 and works perfectly.

Is there a hardware device in device manager with the trouble icon next to it? 

Do you get a "this device has malfunctioned" message when plugging it in?

Its Yes to both the last two. In fact I have been trying to 'update driver' from device manager and trying various other solutions from searches.

Appreciate the help.

Can anyone please help?

I have since confirmed it is the board. I have tested my PC with another CH340 Mega successfully.

The Mega appears to be running the blink LED sketch, so as it was once programmed, could it be a software fault e.g. corrupt bootloader ??

Thanks in advance

If you get device malfunctioned pop-up on plugging in the mega, that is normally indicative of hardware failure ( though I’ve also seen it happen with some devices when used with USB 3.0 ports or specific dodgy hubs). Since it has a 340g not a 16u2, there isn’t any software to get corrupted that would cause the device malfunctioned message. May have come with blink preprogrammed.

Might as well do a once over around the ch340g, check for solder bridges, and make sure the crystal is properly soldered, etc.

hi,

thanks. I tried usb2 and 3 ports but both with same result. Was not using a hub, so I dabbed all ch340 pins with soldering iron. no joy.

then dabbed any usb related pins .... no joy

Ah well at least I have got a blinking led :) :) :)

Will have to get another... :( :( :(

Thanks all the same

Hi, I have only just started with Arduino. I have succesfully installed ide on my old pc running win 10 pro, and able to upload sketches etc. My problem is trying to now run on my newer pc also win 10 pro with Asus Z87 expert motherboard and up to date bios. I get the same problem as others when plugging Arduino mega in, ie unrecognised usb device. I have tried many ways to update driver but Windows always says driver is correct. On plugging board back into older machine all works ok. I have another device, a blood pressure monitor which uses the usb as a coms port and that works correctly. Any help would be welcome.

Hi, problem solved and hope it might help others. The Arduino mega 2560 was always recognised by my older pc with an Asus P5B motherboard. It failed every time on my pc with Asus z97 motherboard I took it to my son who also has a pc with Asus z97 motherboard and gave the same fail. This made me remember another life 20 years ago when I was a mainframe support engineer. In those days we were plagued with timing problems. The USB lead i have been using came from my colour laser printer and is very long. I have now substituted a much smaller lead with Ferrite suppressor. It now works perfectly with no glitches. The original long lead still works if connected to the old pc and also if connected to the laser printer.

hello everybody,

i speak a little english so, i cant believe it, i was searching for information about this problem and the most common problem was de driver but i was trying to install and no fix that then i remember my cable usb its cheaper cost and i goin to search for other and i found a old cable usb with oxido made in china by nokia and that cable usb work at the first time.

my problem was de usb cable

try with a expensive usb cable

p.d i have an arduino nano chinesse ch3401 i guess, good luck guys. :) :) :)