My first project! Goal light.

My summer break coming up fast and am looking to find myself an Arduino.. But I have many questions that need answering.. First, can someone recommend me the best arduino product for a starter? Please consider price too!

Also, for my first project I would like to create a goal light.. For example when my favourite football team (Arsenal yay!) score, I would love a light to come on and perhaps flash! This is trickier than what I first thought! I'd love some pointers from you experts or tips if any of you have done similar. Thankyou all for you time, even just to read this, thanks
(Tltr; need help for a light when my team scores a goal)
Zak

Will the team let you put sensors on the goals on their field? So how will you detect the fact that they have made a goal?

Hey,
im not the expert you wished, but Ive got an idea :wink:
First you need a source of information. After some minutes on google I found this Api:
http://football-api.com/documentation/
Dont know if its the right thing, but it looks like.
The trial is free and probably it will help you to start.
For more im not good enough but I will try to learn Arduino fast.
Greetings

Welcome to the forum. Your first Arduino should, in my opinion, be an Uno R3 with the DIP processor. The chip (Mega 328) is replaceable if neeed, most shields fit it, most libraries are comapatable and Uno probably has the most users.p

How will you sense the goal?

Towdo:
Hey,
im not the expert you wished, but Ive got an idea :wink:
First you need a source of information. After some minutes on google I found this Api:
http://football-api.com/documentation/
Dont know if its the right thing, but it looks like.
The trial is free and probably it will help you to start.
For more im not good enough but I will try to learn Arduino fast.
Greetings

Messing with a Google API doesn't sound like a good place for a beginner to try to start. I would suggest trying something a little simpler.

Maybe build a little miniature goal and a laser trip line to detect a ball going through it. That sounds a lot more accessible for the beginner. Once you have quite a bit of coding experience, then dive into the Google API.

Delta_G:
Messing with a Google API doesn't sound like a good place for a beginner to try to start. I would suggest trying something a little simpler.

Maybe build a little miniature goal and a laser trip line to detect a ball going through it. That sounds a lot more accessible for the beginner. Once you have quite a bit of coding experience, then dive into the Google API.

Thankyou all who'd replied! Thanks Delta for this, and thos is probably what I will do! I have a foosball table.. Now what? Any pointers?! Thanks guys will come back to this thread!

covering the goal with sensors is, possibly a monumental task.
a foosball table is much easier as the opening and ball are much easier to work with.
an array of IR or LEDs on one side and an array of detectors on the other would work.
not sure how much you can alter the table for your project. but a row of something line straws would give you tubes that offered shields so one sensor would not be influenced by another.
having alternating sensor/detector on each side might work too.

the UNO is the best starter for the reasons mentioned. many people have at least one for their primary testing and then use a NANO or some such to put into their projects.

post photos and dimensions of goal area and working area.

Was thinking more along the lines of internet based... Placing sensors around a goal in one of England's biggest football stadiums may be seen as worrying to many ahaha! All help is well received and I love to hear from you all
Zak

Perhaps you could write a Python screen-scraper program on the Linux side of a Yun and have that control an LED on the Arduino side ?

You could develop and test your Python code on your PC before moving it to the Yun.

...R

Robin2:
Perhaps you could write a Python screen-scraper program on the Linux side of a Yun and have that control an LED on the Arduino side ?

You could develop and test your Python code on your PC before moving it to the Yun.

...R

As a beginner, I think I'd like to stick to an Uno and the Yún perhaps may be too complex for me, thanks for the suggestion&I will look back when i am further educated!

ZakDendy:
As a beginner, I think I'd like to stick to an Uno and the Yún perhaps may be too complex for me, thanks for the suggestion&I will look back when i am further educated!

In my opinion this is a task which would be very much easier on a Yun simply because it has so many more resources - it is just a PC in a very small package.

...R

ZakDendy:
My summer break coming up fast .....

No the speed of approach of the summer break remains at a constant rate of 1 day per day. :wink:

I am surprised at the lack of thoroughness in the advice given here. Covering one goal with sensors will not tell you when Arsenal have scored because the teams change ends at half time so not only do you have to cover both goals you also need to know what way they are kicking.

Anyway with the summer break coming up then there is no way you can test this as the season is over.

dave-in-nj:
covering the goal with sensors is, possibly a monumental task.
a foosball table is much easier as the opening and ball are much easier to work with.
an array of IR or LEDs on one side and an array of detectors on the other would work.
not sure how much you can alter the table for your project. but a row of something line straws would give you tubes that offered shields so one sensor would not be influenced by another.
having alternating sensor/detector on each side might work too.

So how do you differentiate between a ball crossing the line and a player crossing the line?

Now if you are talking about a footsball table then a simple piezoelectric sensor under the goal to detect the ball drop is simple.

However there is a fatal flaw in your project. If you are such an Arsenal fan you will at least be listing to the match anyway. :slight_smile:

Grumpy_Mike:
No the speed of approach of the summer break remains at a constant rate of 1 day per day. :wink:

Ha! Hilarious :wink:

As I have tried to say, forget covering their goal with sensors haha - a nearly impossible task! I was thinking more along the lines of twitter update -> Light display!

And i do listen to every game when i can :wink:

Use Temboo. They have APIs for everything.

ZakDendy:
I was thinking more along the lines of twitter update -> Light display!

Hence my suggestion to consider the Yun.

...R

And the Yun can also do Temboo! ;D ;D