Play video or images on a TV

I am working on revamping an existing item, the components within are beginning to malfunction regularly and need to be replace. However the parts used in the original setup are extremely expensive and way overpowered for the task.

What I would like to is have one of three images/videos display on a television for a preset time. I can easily interface with a digital media player but would really like to try to make a single unit item instead of one that controls another. Any ideas?

Raspberry Pi. You probably can get shields/add-on adaptors to allow Arduino to do this but that would probably be more expensive.

paul

I am working on revamping an existing item,

This means nothing. If you want an answer you have to be more specific. I don't see any mention of arduino in your post . What does any of this have to do with arduinos ?

+1. RaspberryPi

raschemmel: This means nothing. If you want an answer you have to be more specific. I don't see any mention of arduino in your post . What does any of this have to do with arduinos ?

Sorry, I assumed that since I am on the Arduino forum it didn't need to be stated that an Arduino is involved.

The existing item has three buttons, each button pressed triggers a different short video. Along with this there is a light and a sound that do some stuff. The whole thing is run through a ridiculously overpowered industrial PLC. I want to rebuild this setup from scratch using components that are not so over the top.

The light and the sound is easy, I've got that covered. I could very easily setup my Arduino Uno to send the right signal for each button to the Digital Media Player, however, I was hoping that I could create an "all-in-one" unit. I have read that the Arduino can't do video, but I don't need video I can work with a still image held for a certain amount of time. I am hoping there is some sort of shield that can enable me to do this.

I have also started looking into the Rasberry Pi but am not sure I want to go that route, I really like when I my projects off the Arduino and build them on my own PCB's. When everything is done I have personally touched and dedicated EVERY component which makes troubleshooting and repair much easier.

I can work with a still image held for a certain amount of time

Where are you going to put the still image ? Are you suggesting having the UNO open a jpeg file and display it somewhere ? Are you referring to a TTL logic controlled NTSC video switch ?

raschemmel: Where are you going to put the still image ?

I would like to continue using the LCD TV we currently have. ( I am intrigued by the thought of cracking it open and taking just the screen out)

raschemmel: Are you suggesting having the UNO open a jpeg file and display it somewhere ?

jpeg, bitmap, whatever. I can format the image anyway I need to.

raschemmel: Are you referring to a TTL logic controlled NTSC video switch ?

You lost me here....

Are you referring to a TTL logic controlled NTSC video switch ? You lost me here....

Ok. You have a box here (point A) that has a color video image.(assume it has all the correct connectors available) You have a TV over THERE (6 feet away) , (point B)

How do you get the signal from point A to point B ? (be specific, as to type of hardware (connectors, cables whatever) you would use , including type of signal you are connecting)

raschemmel: Ok. You have a box here (point A) that has a color video image.(assume it has all the correct connectors available) You have a TV over THERE (6 feet away) , (point B)

How do you get the signal from point A to point B ? (be specific, as to type of hardware (connectors, cables whatever) you would use , including type of signal you are connecting)

That what I am trying to figure out. I currently have a digital media player plugged directly into the TV. The digital media player is controlled (along with everything else) by the PLC( the massive, overpowered, ridiculously expensive, overkill-by-definishion PLC). I could easily replace the PLC with an Arduino Uno, however I like things in nice neat little packages and would like to know if there is a way to use the Arduino to read the image files(in whatever format) and send the to the TV screen.

I have been eyeballing this item http://arduino.cc/en/Main/GTFT but the screen is tiny, maybe I can make it with the screen that is inside our TV?

You didn't answer the question . Either you did not look at the connectors the cable was plugged into or you don't know composite from component from HDMI from S-video. If you saw the cable, you should have seen the connector . If you saw the connector you should be able to tell me EXACTLY WHAT KIND OF CABLE IT WAS . Did you or did you not see the cable ? Can you or can you not tell me what kind it was ? https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00396708&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

What is there is an HDMI cable but I don't see how that is relevant because I want to replace the existing components and can use what ever I want. I think you are over-complicating the question. Its simple really...

Is it possible to use an Arduino to display video or still images on a TV screen? If so, how?

Is it possible to use an Arduino to display video or still images on a TV screen?

Yes. Or, more likely, no. Define "video". Define "still image".

Here is one idea…

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11608

I think you are over-complicating the question.

NO. You are over-simplifying it.

Is it possible to use an Arduino to display video or still images on a TV screen? If so, how?

You still haven't defined your video format. You don't know what NTSC is so you aren't even close to knowing how to define it. You can't talk about video ANYTHING unless you specify your video signal format. Period. You need to pick a video signal format first before posting any questions about how do you do this or how do you do that.

If you are assuming that anything you say means NTSC because it is going to use an arduino then fine, but you still need to state that "Everything I am about to say refers to NTSC ...." Why ? Because we can't read your mind . We don't know if you know that . Maybe you are talking about HDMI on an arduino . How do we know what you are thinking ? Is that clear enough ?

Lets all take a huge step back, No part of what I am trying to do is governed by what is there, I shared the fact that I am revamping an existing item simply to be conversational. NONE of the existing components really mater, the format of what is being displayed does not matter, I can change any of it to suit my whim.

If you tell me I cam do it with a .bmp but not a .jpg then thats what I'll do. If you tell me there is a shield that will allow me to hook up to the component input or the s-video but not the hdmi then thats what I'll do

I am not looking to even begin development unless I know I'm looking in the right direction. This item does allow you to display bitmaps stored on an SD card but I need a significantly bigger screen. I also don't know about the quality or types of images this is being used for (number of colors and such).

I posted this under Project Guidance : Advice on general approaches or feasibility, the term general in this case lets us know that that there may not be any specific item defined for the project, I am looking for ANY signal, ANY format, ANY hardware for displaying ANY image on and LCD TV.

Well see that's where it gets "fuzzy". On the one hand, as soon as you mention a Windows graphic file format the first thing that comes to mind is where is the windows OS that is going to read a Windows graphic file format ? If you want a graphic display shield with built in SD card that can do that they are available but all they do is display it on a little tiny shield screen which I don't think is what you want. So if you are starting with a Window graphic file format but you are NOT cool with a little tiny shield display then we have to ask ourselves, what can we use to OPEN the file , and then CONVERT the VGA image to NTSC or whatever to get it "out of the box" to the "outside world" where it can be interfaced to a TV. A TV by itself , is not enough UNLESS it is the NEW type with built-in SD card reader like my Samsung 48" flat panel tv. We could use that because it has EVERY KIND OF CONNECTOR you could ever want (except DVI I think), but that may be overkill for your concept. Do you see where I am going with this. If you can use whatever you want , then don't you have to at least define the target system that will display the image , or do we have to choose that as well ?

Tell us your requirements for the display device. How big? Pixel resolution? Color resolution? Enviromental spec? Power?

Have you committed to a particular display device / LCD TV yet?

Have you committed to a particular display device / LCD TV yet?

don't buy one until you know what connectors it will need

Forget the Arduino it is totally the wrong thing for this project basically not enough memory and not enough CPU grunt. If you want to achieve something then go with the Raspberry Pi. Any other option is wasting everyone's time.