Powering ESP32 Dev Module with 12V power supply.

Hi Mates,

I have a question about the circuit of my ESP32 project. I'm going to run 12 pcs CPU-fans/caged-fans with a 12V DC power supply, and I would like to know if it's safe to power the ESP32 with the same power supply. I read that I can connect the 12V to pin Vin pin. My only concern is if its safe for the board to be connected to the same power supply as the fans.
Side note: the fans are PWM controlled by the ESP32 and there is a DHT11 connected to 3,3V power output on the ESP32.

-Frederik Sølver

Hi Frederik,

An esp32 would for sure be damaged by 12V and also it has no Vin pin. So I think you mean that you have a board that contains an esp32 and a regulator. Whether that board and regulator can accept 12V depends what board it is, there are many different designs available. You need to post a link to the spec of the board you have.

I use the dev board :slight_smile:

The 5V regulator on the ESP32 is rated up to 12 volts. It is possible but not recommended to supply the ESP Dev module with 12V. The ideal input voltage to the ESP regulator is 6/7 volts.

Putting 12V on the ESP32 regulator turns the regulator into a heater with having to do away with 6/7 volts as heat.

I'd use the 12V stepped down, switching regulator, to 5ish volts to power the ESP32.

I, also, limit the number of devices using ESP32 regulated 3.3V to one device.

frederiksolver:
I use the dev board :slight_smile:

Idahowalker:
The 5V regulator on the ESP32 is rated up to 12 volts.

THERE ARE MANY DESIGNS OF DEV BOARDS AND THEY MAY NOT ALL HAVE THE SAME REGULATOR!

Apologies to everyone else for shouting.