Prosumer

Is there anything that the world needs less than the word 'prosumer' its coming to a conversation near you soon.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Having an interest in photography, it's been coming to conversations near me for quite some time now. I think it means something that isn't good enough for a Pro, but costs too much for a consumer.

I also have been seeing this in the photography world. My take is that it translates to: "This isn't item has basically the same technology as our next generation cheaper consumer items; however, we actually invested a little time in the user interface for this item, which we will withhold from those cheaper items..."

My guess is that it helps the sales guy to get you to spend a bit more and thats it.

Picture the scene, we have this model at (what ever your original budget is) and then there is the ‘prosumer’ model which has XYZ extra features for only a little more of your cash, I guess its working if your buddies are talking about it.

It also gives the press something new to write about - “Top ten prosumer cameras”, “Are you ready to go prosumer”, “The prosumer revolution” - I could make this c5ap up all day, some days I DO !

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

Well, when I purchased my last digital slr, I chose the latest 'prosumer' model at the time a Canon 40D. At the time I purchased, the consumer version actually had a more recent (and higher res) CCD chip, but the 'prosumer' version had a much better user interface. The Rebel (the consumer version) required using a lot of buttons and menus to change common controls, while the 'prosumer' version had dedicated dials for changing those same functions. Coming from using older cameras, I was more interested in the user interface than the wiz bang under the hood (anything over 8MP has more resolution than was obtainable on 35mm film). I still have and use that camera more than four years later.

I really wish the cheaper cameras were designed for photographers, rather than techies... I would much prefer to spend less...

Interesting, I guess that lots of buttons and modes come of well in magazine comparisons where as a professional uses a more selective criteria to judge a camera.

Its still all marketting, probably the same insides in a lot of them ?

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

DuaneB:
Interesting, I guess that lots of buttons and modes come of well in magazine comparisons where as a professional uses a more selective criteria to judge a camera.

Its still all marketting, probably the same insides in a lot of them ?

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

I am by no means a professional photographer, but I did learn on equipment that was designed for professionals... after all the older cameras were made for professionals who were the only ones (mostly) buying them at the time. Which is why I suspect I learned to appreciate the differences a good camera UI could bring to the party. I suspect that if you offered the typical camera consumer a choice between the prosumer UI and the consumer UI for the same price, most would select the consumer UI since it is the most familiar to them (the same gestalt is used in lots of electronics).

However, I will say that the manufacturers appear to put their latest and greatest technology inside their highest end cameras first. After that it appears that it depends upon whichever (prosumer vs consumer) are next in line for production as to which gets the upgrades first. In my case, those latest upgrades appeared in the consumer version since the prosumer version was at least another year before it was upgraded (the 50d)...

Has anyone here (other than me) purchased from the refurbished store...
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252

Off to the airport to pick up the family, haven't seen them in two months - thats like in Dubai.

Duane B

If everybody with a stock portfolio who is making more than 200k/year is a “job creator” then why not “prosumers” who keep companies able to sell goods/services? Yes, that’s right, the same word in English can have more than one definite meaning. Use the roots, etc. While we’re at it, everyone who actually WORKS for a living and makes someone else (the job-creators) should be known as “wealth-creators” since after all no one part of the loop makes the money go round much as some politicians would have us all believe.

I recently had to do a bunch of research on power washers. This was where I encountered the 'prosumer' version of products. They were tougher than the consumer version, but not the heavy steel almost indestructible commercial versions. The price point was about half way between the consumer and commercial stuff, and they looked like they would be good machines for regular folk (non-contractors) that only mistreat their stuff a little bit.

I wound up buying 'prosumer' parts and building my own hose and wand combination because the motor and pumps for the prosumer versions were too expensive. Prosumer parts had a much better selection and were actually worth the money (maybe, time will tell on that part).

I haven't, but it was mostly because the model/price range I wanted wasn't available on that site at the time.

dxw00d:
Having an interest in photography, it's been coming to conversations near me for quite some time now. I think it means something that isn't good enough for a Pro, but costs too much for a consumer.

Actually prosumer had gone away for awhile. When I started in digital photography, it meant an in between camera, that was more advanced than a point & shoot, but not with the bells and whistles of a full DSLR. So if you need say the ability to set the aperture or shutter speed, but didn't want to pay $2-5k for a DSLR, you would get a prosumer at $500-1k. Then the price of DSLRs started falling, so there wasn't much market for the prosumers, since a DSLR was as cheap as the prosumer. Recently, you've seen some manufacturers come out with produmer cameras that are now called enthusiast cameras.

dxw00d:

But pros will have them anyway for certain occasions or backup. The Canon 5D seems to be a good crossover camera between advanced amateurs and pros.

All 'pro' means you are making at least 1/2 of your income from photography. There are some pros that have a bunch of nice gear, but there are a lot of other pros who either use gear provided by their employer, or are making do with a few carefully selected pieces. Often the people with the best gear that they own are rich (or continually in debt) amateurs, some of whom believe that if they own nice gear that their pictures will improve. In general, better gear gets you more opportunities to take pictures you might not be able to capture otherwise, but you still need to take compelling photos. While I can get caught up in having to own the next new shiny as others, most of the new stuff is just refinements to what I already own.

Its the same with golf clubs and fly fishing rods - I always used to say to people that were not catching - 'Its because the fish didn't read the brochure'

Duane B

There is the old saying "You get what you pay for.".
Possibly equally old is "There's a sucker born every minute".

The two combine to the much older "Caveat Emptor" -- Let the Buyer Beware!

Honestly, when I hear the first one I say "really? always?". Obviously I've paid for some screwings in the past....

MichaelMeissner:
While I can get caught up in having to own the next new shiny as others, most of the new stuff is just refinements to what I already own.

And some of the best lenses ever made were made 40 years ago, they just don't autofocus so soccer moms don't want them. Nor soccer dads either, for that matter.