Prototype with breakout boards on breadboard, without headers?

So this is the problem: I have limited amount of components, so I don't want to put a header on a breakout board, because I can't take it off easily.

Is there a way to use breakout board in a way so I can test connections, without headers? I can solder wires, but then I need to solder the wire to something that allow me to pin the wire to the breadboard.

I am sure that someone found a better way to resolve the issue; can't believe that prototyping involve solder permanently a header on a breakout board :)

Any suggestion?

What is wrong with headers? If you want to reuse your breakout board for an other project you are going to need them anyway. If you want to permanent/finalize your prototype i often use pcbs with the same pattern as breadboards like These. In that way i don't have to change the design. You can also get your own crimp tool and make your own connection cables. That way you can have both reliable, flexible and resuable connections

I have a multitude of breakout boards, all with headers, all plugged into breadboards. Sometimes you need
to choose a right-angle header to make it more convenient but either way it needs the header and they
can easily be removed from the breadboard. I really don’t see the problem.

shinyknight: Is there a way to use breakout board in a way so I can test connections, without headers? I can solder wires, but then I need to solder the wire to something that allow me to pin the wire to the breadboard.

You can use wire directly into the breadboard if its the right diameter.

You can also use Dupont headers (male and/or female) to accomplish the said request.

shinyknight: So this is the problem: I have limited amount of components, so I don't want to put a header on a breakout board, because I can't take it off easily.

Actually that's not true. With a bit of encouragement the plastic will come away from the header, leaving just the pins on the board. Removing these, one by one is childs play. Once they're all off the board, you can put the plastic back on to reuse the header.

Thanks for the reply.

Problem is: when you prototype you use a breadboard, often; and these components are just used for that.... I need 3 components connected together with the arduino, and I need them all, to check that they work together.

If I don't put headers, I need to wire them up, which means solder wires, and I may need different size and length of wires for the final project. Hence my question: If there is something that allow me to test connection easily, like a header, but without the hassle to remove the pin soldered (tried, it is a nightmare...I am no expert, plus the board gets so much heat and the contacts points get stressed, which may ruin them).

LarryD: You can also use Dupont headers (male and/or female) to accomplish the said request.

That may work once that I have a header on the breakout board; but if I do not have space for the header, and I won't solder the header on the board; I can't use them :(

Seems that someone thought about that:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10527

shinyknight: Seems that someone thought about that:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10527

These have a tendency to tear pads and pass throughs when you remove them. They're not actually designed to be a temporary part that can be removed, but to make a permanent connection without soldering. We used to install them on a customer's boards. We hated them.

Interesting; I ordered some to give a try.

As now I believe there is no universal way then...I will use them and report my findings.