Quick and easy power connection for breadboard?

Hello all,

I'm using my Arduino to control some RGB LED tape I recently bought and the tape requires 12v to run. I've got a 12v DC adapter, but I've cut off the plug end leaving the wall plug on one end and 2 wires (stripped bare about a 1/4 inch each) on the other. What are some of your suggestions on how I can build some sort of connection to quickly and easily attach and detach adapter power to my breadboard? Versatility is what I'm looking for here, because I'd like to use several different supplies in the future. I don't mind modifying the adapters to all have the same pin connection, just want examples of how I can easily implement this into a breadboard (ideally something I could just plug and unplug from the breadboard). Any thoughts?

I just use a standard sized barrel socket with two wires coming into the breadboard. Then I can plug in pretty much any adapter.

Or you can use one of these http://www.jkdevices.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53... will plug right into the breadboard and allow you to connect most power adapters.

I have a couple of options.

Years ago, I got some of those pre-made stranded jumpers from JDR with spade-terminal-like connectors on one end that nicely fit binding posts. I often use those with the breadboards I have that are mounted on metal plates with binding posts on them. Then I can connect easily power with bare wires or banana plugs. I don't know whether they're still available, though.

More recently, I bought a bag of the cheap Chinese pre-made stranded jumpers. I've cut some of those in half, and soldered them to various components, including coaxial power jacks, to simplify connections to breadboards.

One word of caution: if you're breadboarding projects with high current usage (like, say, LED matrix arrays), you might want to double up on the jumper wires to make sure you get lots of contact area with the breadboard sockets.

Ran

slder to male breakaway eaders to the two wires... use an insulator of course! ()heat shrink, tape, ect...)

For the board use three header pins (breakaway 3M 0.68 long for double sided headers like this http://www.moderndevice.com/products/40-pin-double-male-headers), wired with the center pin positive, outside pins negative,

For the power supply wire up a three pin female socket (heavy duty rc servo extension cable end) wire pin one and three negative and pin two (center pin positive).

You now have a polarized power plug, doesn't matter which way its plugged to the three pin header as long as it sets over all three pins. Makes it less likely to release smoke this way. :wink:

This is quick and easy method.

For higher current, Deans Plugs are an easily used and available polarized plug.