Soldering wires to holes in front of each pin on Uno r3

I have an Arduino UNO r3 and am putting a shield on it (motor driver) that uses around 5 pins but obstructs access to all of them. I have noticed that there are holes in front of each pin with a conductive ring around them. Can I solder a wire into a hole and have it act as it is in the pin (Solder a wire to the hole in front of pin 6 to use pin 6)? Has anyone tried it? Thank you for the help!

I have attached a picture to show what I am talking about

Pic from Original Post
9a463c721faecd43a8561476cb82c557d8d3f3c6.jpg

…R

I have an Arduino UNO r3

No you don't you have a rip off board.

Can I solder a wire into a hole and have it act as it is in the pin

Why not.

Has anyone tried it?

No idea if anyone else has a rip off board, but lets be serious here do you need some one to say yes I have soldered a wire to a board and it worked?

What shield are you using that "obstructs" access to the pins? Any decently designed shield will pass all pins to the top, used or not.

You could solder the same stacking headers used on top of the board to the bottom of the board. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11417 Leo..

Sure solder on wires or ( better) pin header. That's fine, assuming you can solder half decently.

No idea what got people all worked up...

Grumpy_Mike: No you don't you have a rip off board.

And in fact, it does not actually resemble a UNO at all, as a UNO has a ATmega16U2 as the USB interface and boards like this do not so they are actually clones of the earlier Duemilanove.

Not to say that they do not work and they are usually flashed with the UNO bootloader, but they do not have the functionality of a UNO.

the answer is , yes, that is what they are there for.

I have a shield that has similar connectors. the beauty is you solder to the shield and not your main board. when you want your main board back, you just un-stack it.

there are lots of options

http://store.cutedigi.com/screw-shield-for-arduino/