Strange problem with IDE: serial monitor opened offscreen

I was trying to teach myself how to work with the Timer http://playground.arduino.cc//Code/Timer library and an Uno R3 (on Windows 7 x64).

But when I clicked the serial monitor button, I saw no serial monitor window pop up. I knew it worked in the past when I was going through the tutorials (e.g., temperature) but that was some months past. I did try to update to latest version of the IDE.

Then I found out that the window had popped up offscreen by hovering over the icons in the taskbar. I could then right-click and "move" the window, eventually I got it back onscreen. Kind of strange. :cold_sweat:

Has anyone else seen this?

WinZip does it to me every time I open a zip file at work, where I have dual monitors, and then open one at home, where I don't.

Do you sometimes use more than one monitor?

PaulS:

WinZip does it to me every time I open a zip file at work, where I have dual monitors, and then open one at home, where I don't.

Do you sometimes use more than one monitor?

Aha, thats it! I replaced my video card and the monitor placement was different in Windows.

Seems it's a defect in Windows itself. :astonished:

Seems it's a defect in Windows itself.

Hardly a defect. The window positions are stored in the registry. If you change hardware, you can hardly expect everything to work perfectly after that. Sometimes shit simply happens.

SOLVED!! Uber n0ob friendly!!!

Appears to be a multi-monitor problem / 'remembered position' issue as the other person suggested. But alas I have come to you aid. Lol jkjk probably fixed it for now but there are a few of these same posts and not all of them are answered.

-------------\

2A -SIMPLE FIX- #2A

-------------\

*** We will start by making sure Serial Monitor (not Arduino IDE) is the selected windows process ***

1. Click the serial monitor icon in the windows taskbar or navigate to it from Task Manager.

2A. For Simplicity, after making the Serial Monitor the active window / process, try hitting 'WINKEY + LEFT' or 'WINKEY + RIGHT' ----------- (WIN 7 AND ABOVE) This is a neat little trick to fit the window to corners of your screen / navigate through monitors [check out WINKEY + UP/DOWN when you finish up]

IF #2A DOESN'T WORK 2B. 'ALT + TAB' release. Single press of 'm' on the keyboard then 'Enter'. Proceed to move the monitor back on screen with the arrow keys. ---- here we are selecting the alternative menu and selecting 'm'ove from the list; hence your single 'm' key press..

ULTRA-SUPER-TASTIC-NOOB NOTES:

The taskbar in windows 7 and above may have similar items grouped, if this is the case you can simply find the serial monitor's icon hiding behind the Arduino IDE. I also mentioned 'Switch To' from the 'Applications' tab of 'Windows Task Manager' (CTRL + ALT + DEL) or with one less step (CTRL + LSHIFT + ESC) Click once on the serial monitor then click switch to.