General reference:
Just an FYI...
Many very inexpensive (cheap) cat-toy laser devices do not have a proper constant current driver; rather resorting to just a resistor. These diodes can be modulated, at least to voice-range frequencies - I did not think to try ultrasonic!
Agree, but the device in question seems to include a proper laser driver circuit:
The screenshot has been taken from the manufacturer's FAQ
https://www.egismos.com/laser-module
If jonis95's modules have been prepared for 38 kHz or external PWM input they could be used, otherwise the driver circuits had to be exchanged (or at least modified - if possible). Anyway, to have a reasonable chance to hit the detector it would be also necessary to add an optical element that widens/scatters the laser signal. Unless you use a mounting stable down to one mrad (which is about an angle of 1 degree devided by 17,4) ...
You should be able to modulate those at the right frequencies by using it like an LED but I'm not sure.
EDIT - Do you have soldering stuff?
Thanks!
It is rare here in my makeshift little lab that anything is "proper." But, there was a time back at Uni in research that I can remember being surrounded by massive quantities of NASA donated instrumentation. Ah, those were the days...
Although electronics has got exitingly cheaper every year since my university times in the end of the 70th there is still a correlation between quality and cost (and finally the price)
For about 30 years I worked with engineers and physisists who developed eye safe IR laser based devices . Fortunately without any accident. Today's access to laser modules and diodes is a little bit scary as most people do neither have the knowledge and experience nor the appropriate lab incl. protective glasses to safely handle the hazard. Especially IR is quite dangerous as you will recognize the impact when it is too late without any chance to recover ... I personally do avoid laser diode usage and would only use laser modules which have been tested as unconditionally eye safe in accordance with IEC 60825-1 (or equivalent ANSI standard) by an accredited lab ...
About the PWM part should i do it with the analogWrite()?
i do yes
Sorry for the late reply. I haven't had school which means no excuses to waste time here.
Solder the two leads of the IR laser into the IR LED's breakout board. Then use it like you did the LED.
Sorry for the delay. Yes, analogWrite would be the correct function to create PWM patterns on pins which are designed for analog output (check the description of the microcontroller you use). But RC codes are more complex than switching a signal on/off. You have to modulate the information (usually) on 38 kHz carrier frequency. That is already taken care of by IR libraries so no need to use analogWrite() .. unless you want to create a complete own application.
You can try it with your laser modules, but the information (see #25) given by the vendor does not sound promising ... As they say their modules can be designed to input TTL modulation but that seems to require a hardware change regarding the driving circuit.
Again playing around with laser diodes is a dangerous thing as long as you don't have the skills, knowledge, protective gear and infrastructure (laser lab with access control), there is no real live reset button: Damage to the eye done by lasers will never heal.
I strongly recommend to stay with IR LEDs. There are links that show how to get more power "on air" like
super-ir-transmitter or
ir-led-circuit or
adafruit ir-transmitter breakout board
Don't worry. Hmm that's sounds promising and clever idea, you think it's safe? I mean not to burn anything?
It;s okay no problem. What are yyou thinking about the hardware change ?
thank you for your time
What laser module are you using? I assume it's just one of those brass or metal tubes with wires off the ends?
Any change you do to the OEM product will infringe with the manufacturer's laser classification and make you responsible for any damage that may occur...
Actually, it is not "no problem" that you may believe laser safety is for 3-years old kids only ... No it is not. It is something that proven Physisists (Doctors in Laser Optics) and well educated engineeres take care of as they know you'll suffer for the rest of your live if something "forseeable" or - even worse -"unforeseeable" takes place ... You demonstrate more to be a responsible person if you do not take too much risk than being brave, but probably blind yourself ... ![]()
However, if you are still keen to get even more sound and trustful information I highly recommend to contact the manufacturer via sales@egismos.com . They do have an office in Canada and are the best address to tell you about possibilities, chances and risks when utilizing or modifying their products ...
Lasers can be as safe or dangerous as you want them to be. Get the 5mW or 1mW modules. Anything above that poses a threat to your eye safety, and anything above 50mW is completely stupid to use without a pair of laser glasses specified for that wavelength.
Speaking of which, the module you have listed likely won't work for a TV. TVs can use 780nm and 808nm light, but they can also use 850nm or 950nm among a few other wavelengths.
If you do want this laser, use the following specifications for optimal safety and highest likelihood of this working.
Wavelength = 808nm
Output power = 1mW - 5mW (1mW recommended)
Diameter = 4mm
Pattern = Dot
Grade = Doesn't matter
Voltage = 5V (VERY IMPORTANT)
Span angle = 40 degree line
I took a look at the laser module datasheet and the optical power in the infrared is stated at <5mW. On the surface, this sounds safe, but the real danger is humans cannot see IR.
I would encourage you to read the articles linked below. The first link is in regard to Class 4. Other links are U.S Government or NASA links, largely for higher power classes, but all lasers have health concerns.
https://pointerclicker.com/is-a-5mw-laser-powerful/
https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/observing-news/green-lasers-a-hidden-danger/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3799025/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3799025/
Please secure laser goggles to block IR and ensure any others who may utilize or observe the device in use also has certified safety eyeware. Just google to find a seller for the goggles. Even Amazon has 'em.
Ray
What do you mean? I use the IR one that i post on my description
thank you for your time. Your answer was helpful..I will see what i am gonna do. I might come with another question
I will read the articles..thank you for your time and your answer
The no problem was because of your delay. I will see how i am gonna solve it. I totally respect the product and i am aware of the danger.. i know number one rule is always safety. Thank you again
