Why is my IP blocked?

What happened on 10 February 2022 ? My browser can not see the forum anymore. The rest of arduino.cc is fine. There is no error message, eventually there is a timeout.
I wrote this using a VPN.

No problems here!
Paul

I'd flag this and ask the mods

large denial of service attacks are run on Internet these days targeting popular sites. Stack Overflow is down right know

I never understand what the fun of that is for people who do that. either they or I have the wrong mindset.

The most recent in the list is 2021-Jun. So nothing happened here 2022-Feb-10.

Unless your service provider assigned you an IP address that happens to be in the block list. As far as I can tell the moderators no longer have visibility on IP addresses. You are welcome to send me your address via personal message and I'll check the list.

Thanks Coding_Badly, I will do that.
I found another "discourse" forum that I can't see as well. I'm using a cheap internet service provider the reroutes the traffic via a cheaper internet exchange in a other country.

(This is me via VPN)

Unplug your modem overnight. When you log it back on you will likely be given a new IP address.

In case someone else has the same problem:

Arduino does not block my IP, but the Discourse forum does.
[EDIT] Arduino does not cause the block, the block is somewhere between me and Discourse.
I think that these are all new and updated: https://www.discourse.org/customers
I can not see any of them.

(Koepel via VPN)

Weird. Could it be the other way around? Could your ISP be blocking access to the Discourse IP address? Are you able to ping (ping forum.arduino.cc)?

(Not that it matters. Either way you're stuffed.)

In any case, thank you for letting us know.

With my own IP:

PING arduino.hosted-by-discourse.com (184.104.202.141) 56(84) bytes of data.

Nothing happens. Nothing is received. 100% packet loss.

With VPN:

PING arduino.hosted-by-discourse.com (184.104.202.141) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 184.104.202.141 (184.104.202.141): icmp_seq=1 ttl=52 time=31.4 ms

The line with 64 bytes is repeated many times. 0% packet loss.

My ISP writes on a forum that a new IP will probably be given if the modem is turned off for 48 hours. I can't turn it off that long.

I tried the mtr program and a website in the Netherlands is fast and very responsive. With www.arduino.cc it is slow and about 20% gets lost, but it works. With forum.arduino.cc it stops between two local IP numbers at my ISP. After the second local IP number it should jump to the internet exchange.
There is probably private information in there, so I'm not showing a screendump.
Perhaps it is the ISP doing something silly.

(Koepel via VPN)

Try change your DNS IP, for example use the IP from OpenDNS or 1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9.9

Yeah. That's probably not Discourse. I doubt they would go to the trouble to block ICMP traffic.

Well. Unless they (or their service provider) is protecting their network from a denial of service attack. Then they might. But not forever.

Pinging IP addresses around 184.104.202.141 could be telling.

You may be able to release / renew the IP address. That may trigger a new assignment. (In my case, it does not. The DHCP server just reassigns the same address.) In my experience that's usually done at the modem / router.

Ooh. Your ISP may have messed up a router configuration.

I'm no longer blocked !

It was my ISP after all.
As you can read here (in Dutch) the technicians have been working all night and they fixed it.

Thanks everyone for thinking along and you were suspecting the ISP and they were indeed the problem.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.