WifiNiNA Firmware update

(deleted)

Github has the change log

TimEllis:
Should it be possible to update the WifiNiNA firmware to 1.7.1?

No. The WiFiNINA library and the NINA firmware are two completely different things (though they work together) with unrelated version numbers. The NINA firmware is the program that runs on the NINA-W102 module (an ESP32 microcontroller with WiFi radio) thats’s on the WiFi-enabled Arduino boards. The WiFiNINA library is part of your sketch program, which runs on the primary microcontroller (e.g., ATSAMD21G18 on the MKR WiFi 1010 and Nano 33 IoT, ATmega4809 on the Uno WiFi Rev2) that’s on the Arduino board.

So they are two different programs running on two different microcontrollers that communicate with each other.

The programs have completely different source code, so it makes sense to version each project individually. For this reason, the version numbers would only ever match by pure coincidence. @ballscrewbob shared the link to the WiFiNINA library’s changelog, which shows the latest version of that project. Here you can see the releases of the NINA firmware:

As you can see, the latest release is 1.4.1, so you are running the state of the art firmware on your NINA-W102 module.

(deleted)

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear things are working well with NINA firmware 1.4.1!

I've just bought a Nano 33 IOT and it's telling me to update the firmware. The "firmware checker" says 1.2.3 is installed and 1.4.1 is the latest.

Running the firmware updater it says the latest available is 1.3.0, latest maybe for the Nano33 IOT.

When I do a "test connection" it doesn't work. The firmware updater sketch has been uploaded ok. I've tried this a number of times.

I've seen some other comments about the connection not working but not seen a reason yet.

I'm just using simple UDP tx/rx, which is working ok with the installed 1.2.3, do I actually need to upgrade anyhow?

mikkie42:
I've just bought a Nano 33 IOT

Congratulations! It's a very nice little board. Definitely one of the favorites in my collection.

mikkie42:
When I do a "test connection" it doesn't work. The firmware updater sketch has been uploaded ok. I've tried this a number of times.

In order to help with that, we'd need to know the exact wording of the error you get when you do the "Test connection".

mikkie42:
I'm just using simple UDP tx/rx, which is working ok with the installed 1.2.3, do I actually need to upgrade anyhow?

I would lean towards saying that, if it's working fine for you, then you don't need to worry about it. Certainly there have been some nice improvements and bug fixes made to the firmware in the 2.5 years since 1.2.3 was released, so be sure to keep it in mind in case you do have problems.

You can see the changelog here:

Hi:
GitHub log says:
WiFiNINA 1.7.1 - 2020.08.26

• Change WIFI_FIRMWARE_LATEST_VERSION to 1.4.1
    I have it installed but only version 1.3 is available in the Firmaware Updater.
    Why?

Arduino IDE was released June 16th. At that time, the newest version of the NINA firmware was 1.3. Since that time, new versions of the firmware have been released, but no new version of the Arduino IDE.

If you want the latest version of the NINA firmware available in your Firmware Updater tool, you can use the hourly build of the Arduino IDE:

The hourly build is primarily intended for beta testing, so I don't necessarily recommend that you switch to using the hourly build as your everyday IDE version, but it's a convenient way to get the latest version of the NINA firmware, even if you never use that IDE version for any other purpose.

pert:
Arduino IDE was released June 16th. At that time, the newest version of the NINA firmware was 1.3. Since that time, new versions of the firmware have been released, but no new version of the Arduino IDE.

I got it. But Why the firmware is associated with Arduino IDE not the WiFiNINA 1.7.1 - 2020.08.26. GitHub says: that WiFiNINA 1.7.1 was released with: Change WIFI_FIRMWARE_LATEST_VERSION to 1.4.1. I have WiFiNINA 1.7.1 but I did not get firmware 1.4. That is the thing I do not understand.

There is no mechanism for distributing the firmware with the library. There are two different distibution methods.

In the case of the ArduinoIoTCloud library, we have this nice Arduino Library Manager system for distributing new versions of the library.

But there is nothing like that for the NINA firmware. The firmware is bundled with the firmware updater plugin, which in turn is bundled with the Arduino IDE. So the only way to distribute a new version of the firmware is to release a new version of the Arduino IDE.

The ArduinoIoTCloud library runs on the primary ATSAMD21G18 microcontroller of your Arduino board, while the NINA firmware runs on the ublox NINA-W102 WiFi module. The two need to be able to communicate with each other, so there is an association between the two in that way.

Tried ‘light’ way to upgrade- was unsuccessful - I could not find 1.41. folder in any links provided above. Downloaded latest version of Arduino IDE - allowed me to upgrade firmware to 1.4.1.
Thanks.

I'm glad to hear you were able to successfully update your firmware to the latest version!

gregIrl:
Tried 'light' way to upgrade- was unsuccessful - I could not find 1.41. folder in any links provided above. Downloaded latest version of Arduino IDE - allowed me to upgrade firmware to 1.4.1.
Thanks.

It would have been the "NINA_W102-v1.4.1.bin" download from this page:

However, using the hourly build of the Arduino IDE is so easy, so I think you made the right choice.

Hey everyone,

Just got a MKR WiFi 1010 and am having issues updating to the "latest".

I was using the Arduino web editor, but read that I had actually had to use the IDE to update the fw.

I was able to get 1.3.0 installed. But the updater prompts me that 1.4.3 is actually the latest.

The only 1.4.3 drivers I could find are here: ArduinoCore-samd/drivers at master · arduino/ArduinoCore-samd · GitHub

But I dont think this applies to my MKR WiFi 1010. Does it?

Please let me know if you can guide me. Thank you!

Hi @jreo. The NINA firmware is distributed with the Arduino IDE releases, and at the time of the Arduino IDE 1.8.13 release the latest firmware version was 1.3.0. As you learned, there have been several releases of the firmware since the last Arduino IDE release. But there is also an hourly build of the Arduino IDE that always contains the latest version of the firmware. You can download that here:

So just follow the same tutorial, but use the hourly build of the Arduino IDE instead of Arduino IDE 1.8.13. After you have updated your firmware, you're welcome to go back to using Arduino IDE 1.8.13. The hourly is just an easy way to get the latest firmware version.

jreo:
The only 1.4.3 drivers I could find are here: ArduinoCore-samd/drivers at master · arduino/ArduinoCore-samd · GitHub

But I dont think this applies to my MKR WiFi 1010. Does it?

The NINA firmware is not stored there.

Ok thank you Pert, I will try this out and report back!

Hi,
You can download “NINA_W102-v1.4.1.bin” from here: https://github.com/arduino/nina-fw/releases
And also it is good to use an hourly build of the Arduino IDE: https://www.arduino.cc/en/software#hourly-builds

Thanks,

Another way to load the latest WiFiNINA firmware without running the hourly build, is to simply drop the new firmware files into the 1.3.0 firmware folder and rename them.

You can download the latest WiFiNINA firmware here, version 1.4.3 as of this writing. There are two files required:

The path for the 1.3.0 firmware is here. Drop the firmware files you just downloaded into this folder.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools\WiFi101\tool\firmwares\NINA\1.3.0

Now create a new folder and move the original 1.3.0 firmware files in there. Then copy the filenames to the new files in the original folder.

Now run the firmware updater and choose 1.3.0. WiFiNINA will be updated to 1.4.3. Check the firmware version afterwards using the CheckFirmwareVersion sketch. This can be found in the Examples/WiFiNINA/Tools, or by searching for WiFiNINA in the Examples if using the Arduino Web Creator.

WiFiNINA firmware check.
Firmware version installed: 1.4.3
Latest firmware version available : 1.4.3

Check result: PASSED

Hi,

I cant update my arduino nano 33 iot wifinina to 1.4.5. When Im trying to upload the firmware updater I get this error: "exit status 1
'SerialNina' was not declared in this scope". And for some reason nothin works at IoT cloud anymore...

Hi @ruostee66. Please provide more details so we can help you out:

Which program are you using when you get this error?

Please post the full and exact text of the output rather than only an excerpt.