need a wire to board connector

hi, i am looking for a wire to board connector, the problem is the wire size have to be 20 awg and the connector can't have a length more than 3.5mm and a pitch more than 2.5mm, and it should have 3 pins any recommendations?

Do some browsing: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv927=2&pv1075=4&pv69=80&FV=fff40016%2Cfff803bf&k=phoenix&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

CrossRoads: Do some browsing: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv927=2&pv1075=4&pv69=80&FV=fff40016%2Cfff803bf&k=phoenix&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

I did some browsing this is why i'm asking because i couldn't find the connector i need

to94:
hi, i am looking for a wire to board connector, the problem is the wire size have to be 20 awg and the connector can’t have a length more than 3.5mm and a pitch more than 2.5mm, and it should have 3 pins any recommendations?

err . . . if it has three pins and a pitch of 2.5 mm how can it possibly be less than 3.5 mm long?

I think you need to describe your problem more fully.

Russell.

russellz: err . . . if it has three pins and a pitch of 2.5 mm how can it possibly be less than 3.5 mm long?

You presume the pins are in a line. :grinning:

I'd call length the distance from the point where the connector meets the board, to the point where the connector ended, and the wires started.

OP, could you clarify?

Many Datasheets on Digikey refer to Length as what I might call the depth. It is the dimensional on-surface distance that is the shortest and in this case extends away from the front plane.

Also the shortest "Length" I can find on digikey, in stock, that satisfies OP's other requirements is 5mm. And for good reason. There needs to be about 2.5 mm of space for a crimping or locking mechanism apart from the terminals including wall thickness.

I have a hard time imagining a part with 3.5mm "Length" that has any integrity to it. If that dimensional requirement is based off of PCB space, I would consider redesigning to account for more space.

20AWG is kind of big for the common little "DuPont" connectors that are common in the Arduino world. I've probably purchased more than $1000 of them. (That doesn't buy as many as you might think.) I would expect that my crimper would work on that size but it may not make a reliable connection.

For that wire size and larger, I would consider a screw terminal. I don't know of any that are 0.1" pitch but you may be lucky. "Push in" type connections which have a little lever instead of a screw can sometimes meet that pitch requirement. Their PCB footprint is not large but the height is.

Since you seem to already have it designed with no space available, you are probably limited to soldering direct to the board and putting the plug/socket external. This is poor practise as the flying leads can easily snap off the board.

MorganS: This is poor practise as the flying leads can easily snap off the board.

Hot melt glue.

As used in the finest Chinese electronics!