NRF24l01+ non standard pinout?

Hi everybody.

I have problem with nrf module. I build small transmitter/receiver system. I ordered few months ago 10 pcs nrf24l01+ modules and they looked exactly like my previous modules. But when i just change the module in my circuit these new modules don't work! Same but older modules works fine. When try communicate with module program get jammed. There is no pinout marked on pcb. Chip is same NRF M 24L01+ 1452AB. Is it possible that pinout is different or is it just piece of shit from china? And non of new modules worked..

Left module works.

(added the rest of the image tag - moderator)

Wils0n:
When try communicate with module program get jammed.

Do you mean that your ‘newer’ batch of NRF24L01+ modules don’t seem to respond to “AT” commands?

Is it possible that pinout is different or is it just piece of shit from china?

I’ve used heaps of these before. There was one case where the on-chip antenna of a module was scoured or chipped (possibly due to bad packing when a leg of another module scraped it). But otherwise, never had issues with them.

The piece of **** from china thinking is of days old. These days, I reckon it’s thank goodness for cheap and good working stuff from china that allows us to get cheap affordable electronic items to tinker with. I consider ‘made in china’ to be quite good these days. It’s also possible that the ‘made in china’ label may become the go-to label in the future, which is kind of ironic. I’m an Aussie.

Anyway, see what happens when you use the “AT” commands to check out the internal settings - if possible.

At the moment, I’m using two NRF24L01+ (each one serving an arduino MEGA 2560) that are IDENTICAL (in appearance) to the right-hand-side module of your photo. Both working fine.

I tested new modules alone with test library and it works normally. I think my chips are fake. Maybe this is about transfer speed? With 2Mbs it worked fine but when using 250kbs it is not working?

Wils0n:
I tested new modules alone with test library and it works normally. I think my chips are fake. Maybe this is about transfer speed? With 2Mbs it worked fine but when using 250kbs it is not working?

Hard to say. You mentioned they 'work normally' in testing, which is a good start. Are you planning to use at lower speed, or higher speed?

Also, google 'adding bypass capacitor to nrf24L01'.

Well, i tested new radios in my circuit 250kbps and 2mbps no different. when using new radio other end and old one another end it works, but when flip them over it won't work. library is same setups is same?
Maybe oscillator clockspeed not matching if capacitor size if slightly different? Can that make problems like that? And both old radios work but both new radios don't work? It's very strange that radio works when connect directly to mega board and example program. i'm confused :frowning: supply voltage is exactly 3.3v and spi connections are correct. Tested low speed and hi speed, low transmitting power and max power. I think my head is going to explode because of this problem >:(

Wils0n:
It's very strange that radio works when connect directly to mega board and example program. i'm confused :frowning: supply voltage is exactly 3.3v and spi connections are correct. Tested low speed and hi speed, low transmitting power and max power. I think my head is going to explode because of this problem >:(

'that radio works'. Is that referring to the new radios? The new radios work when connected directly to the MEGA board running the example program?

If the new radios work with the MEGA board, then those radios 'work' (full stop).

The next thing would then be to focus on your setup where something isn't adequately configured.

Can you post photos of the set-up that doesn't work? That is, images of the hardware (for the case where things aren't working. And post the code too (for which things aren't working).

Problem solved! When add 10uF cap to nrf supply pins and set PAlevel to MIN it works!

I still think those new nrf modules are clones because drawing so much more current(i need check how much actually) than my old ones?

With old nrf24l01+ i can use MAX PAlevel and still works fine without capacitor?

Southpark:
Also, google 'adding bypass capacitor to nrf24L01'.

Thanks for the tip !

Thanks for indicating that you added a capacitor and your modules are working properly with the cap Wilson! Most welcome.

Yeah… I think that some nrf24L01+ will work just fine without capacitors, even from the same ordered batch. You’ll probably see this in future. And, sometimes, removing the cap again can be surprising too - as in… some of them might not work at first, until a capacitor is added ---- and they continue to work when the same cap is removed again. But obviously, if in general the module starts working with an added cap, then best to leave the cap there - just in case.