Perf board wiring, solid core or stranded?

So, I'm planning to build a fairly complex project on a perf board (hundreds of connections). I'm wondering do people prefer to use solid core or stranded wire with a perf board?

I don't have much experience working with perf boards (mostly done custom PCBs myself so far) and was thinking that perf boards would be better choice for more permanent prototypes than breadboards.

Just like to hear some opinions before I spend cash on a few hundred meters of wire :slight_smile:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,62942.0.html

I would tend to use solid core wire for interconnections that do not have to flex. The wires will tend to stop where they are put.
Connections into and out of the board I would use multi stranded wire as they will flex more.

It depends whether you need to stick two things in the same hole. I have trouble getting sound connections with either.

I am by no means a solder expert, but I tend to prefer solid wires when I'm making permanent connections between the perfboard holes. I prefer stranded wire when I'm making a cable that one end attaches to the perfboard and the other connects to things off board, since stranded works better if the cable flexes, and you use crimp connectors to make custom cables.

Thanks for the comments! Consensus seems to be solid core wire then. I think I'm going to build a small test circuit with both types of wire before I'm going to buy lots of it :slight_smile:

Definitely solid core. Stranded is useless for pins that are close together, it splays out when you try to solder it and short-circuits everything in sight.

I use 30 AWG wire wrapping wire. 30 awg wire wrapping wire for sale | eBay

It comes in lots of colors and is just the right thickness. A pack like this would get you off to a good start.

You should probably get a wire wrap tool as well - if only for the little wire stripper in the handle.

(and who knows, you might end up learning to use it to wrap wires...)

Thanks fungus! Exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. AWG 30 is super thin and looks like just the right kind of wire for the project I have in mind (more about that later...). I'm going to order a pack right away. Hopefully shipping does not take ages...

michinyon:
It depends whether you need to stick two things in the same hole. I have trouble getting sound connections with either.

Do you clean the oxide off the copper with wire-wool? Makes a big difference I find, the
solder will spread quickly over a greater area.

You can also do a lot with the actual components. Bend the legs under the board to touch whatever it is they need to connect to but don't necessarily snip them off short.

eg. If you need some pullup resistors, put then near a chip's VCC pin. When you put in your decoupling capacitor for the chip, bend the capacitor's leg (under the board) to touch the chip's Vcc pin pin, then continue it over to where the resistors are.

If you arrange the components well this technique can really reduce the number of extra wires you need to add, especially for Vcc and GND connections.

michinyon:
It depends whether you need to stick two things in the same hole.

I don't think you should ever stick two things in the same hole....

Used wire wrap years ago. Thinking of doing it again for a few prototypes. RS used to carry it in the stores, but no longer. Have to buy online. If anyone finds it at a good price, let us know. Yes, solid wire for perfboard. I use telephone wire as it is cheap. Sometimes I can find it in the dollar store for 25ft. However I have to strip the 4 wires apart first.

fungus:

michinyon:

You can with the wire wrap wire push two strands through the same hole.

If anyone finds it at a good price

https://www.sparkfun.com/search/results?term=wire+wrap

Grumpy_Mike:

fungus:

michinyon:

You can with the wire wrap wire push two strands through the same hole.

I didn't say "can't", I said "shouldn't".

steinie44:
Have to buy online. If anyone finds it at a good price, let us know.

I posted some links above...

Search Results for wire wrap - SparkFun Electronics
Wire Wrap Thin Prototyping & Repair Wire - 200m 30AWG Blue : ID 1446 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Way too much
Lot better prices on ebay.

steinie44:

Search Results for wire wrap - SparkFun Electronics
Wire Wrap Thin Prototyping & Repair Wire - 200m 30AWG Blue : ID 1446 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Way too much

The Adafruit reel isn't bad: 200m for $7.50.

The reels I pointed to on eBay are only $2 each but they're 100ft.

(100ft will last a loooong time. I can't imagine ever getting through 200m of the stuff on little PCBs....)

True! But when you need all the colors, it adds up. I have a bit of red only. The $2.00 ones are good. Don't need 200m.
Thanks.

But when you need all the colors, it adds up.

You don't "need" all the colours. Electricity flows just as well through a red wire as a green one.