Proposal: Rename "Hardware" category to "Official Hardware"

This is one of the incremental changes implementing the English language category restructuring discussed in general at:

The specific changes being proposed can be seen here. They consist of:

• Change the category's name from "Hardware" to "Official Hardware"
  • Change category "slug" (cosmetic text in category page URL) to official-hardware

This category serves as a container for dedicated subcategories for the individual products sold by the Arduino company.

The forum contains several other categories used for discussion of subjects related to hardware not specific to an official product.

The previous ambiguous "Hardware" category name did not clearly communicate the scope of this category and this ambiguity might have made it difficult for users to determine where to create or search for topics related to other hardware. The new name clearly communicates the scope of the category.

Impact on Links

The name change will not break any links.

Links to Category Page

Although the forum software adds a cosmetic text "slug" to the category page URL, the only technically significant part of the URL is the ID (e.g., 12). Even though the "slug" text will be changed as part of the renaming, the previous links will still lead to the category page as always.

Links to Topics and Posts

Topic and post URLs are not category dependent so there is no impact on links to any topics or posts under the renamed category.

Maybe change it to "Official Arduino Hardware"

4 Likes

We should try to keep the category names as short as possible in order to ensure they can be displayed in the forum interface:

My opinion is that the "Arduino" is implicit in this case.

The deficiencies of the forum interface are for discussion elsewhere but if it were not for the wasted space it would not be an issue. As it is the forum software does not even deal with its own presentation properly, ie

2 Likes

It's a drop-down menu. It is perfectly reasonable and standard for such a menu to overlap the underlying content during the time the user has the menu open.

Purely theoretically, you could already do that, and I don't want to influence you either. But if we put an "official" in front of it, then there should also be discussions about "inofficial" hardware, right? Does that mean ESP or Pi?

1 Like

Is the purpose to block questions and discussions about non-Arduino produced hardware ?

I suspect the majority of posters on these forums beleive devices such as the ESP series are already 'Official Arduino Hardware'

1 Like

We have that. Check the proposal:

https://forum.arduino.cc/t/restructuring-forum-categories/1102089/42#other-hardware-lock-4

No. The purpose is to clearly define the scope of the category as a container for the official product-specific categories the Arduino company uses for product support and as a source of user feedback for specific products.

2 Likes

@cloudDev and @srnet

Please see the suggestions in Restructuring forum categories

@pert, you're too fast :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@sterretje I sometimes feel the same way. There I am typing and I'm typing for a detailed description, and while I'm typing, the same thing I wanted to say comes up!
@pert Is there a more precise distinction then, what else can be put into the unofficial category and what not? Can you put all your technology questions in there, which also have less / not at all to do with Arduino?

This is the description for "other hardware" on the staging forum

One might be able to phrase it better, it is there as a suggestion.

2 Likes

Ok. Thanks!

4 posts were split to a new topic: Does the Arduino company use the forum to provide support?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.