[SOLVED]Issue with turning on an LED light with Nano

Hello all, newbie here :slight_smile:

Im trying to move my build to a nano instead of an uno but have some issues. I got over all the driver set up to work with the IDE and got the built in LED to blink. When I try doing the same with a different LED - it doesn’t work and I am clueless :\ tried an online search but couldn’t find an answer so figured I could use the help here :slight_smile: TIA! :slight_smile:

void setup() {
  pinMode(3, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(3, HIGH);   
  delay(500);                    
  digitalWrite(3, LOW);    
  delay(500);                    
}

have you checked the LED anode and cathode are in the right orientation ?

the Anode (+) has a longer lead than the cathode

what resistance did you use?

Yes, and i tested with few LED’s that I know to be working. Using 220ohm resistor.

double check it’s 220Ω, can’t really tell the colors on the picture

Diodes allow current only to flow in one direction. Try turning the LED around.

yea, tried others too , just in case… any other ideas? wiring look ok otherwise?

double checked, longer side is on the red wire side.

just a doubt: it seems you did not solder all the headers… can you confirm?
the D3 and GND pins need to be soldered (at minimum)

(and there is a suspicious soldering job at pin D13 which appears to touch the 3.3V pin)

you are correct, I did not solder it all. Is that something that has to be done in order for it to work?
again, newbie here :slight_smile: I tried with a different nano that’s also not soldered (not even a few pins).

No worries, we all started as newbie :wink:

yes soldering is key otherwise you get a poor connection and the signal does not go through, or partly and you have a weird behavior

ok, ill try to get a hold on soldered ones since i have no idea actually how to do it myself (as you could tell :slight_smile: ) . This is my first time dealing with electronics and i winged it :X

Yes the header need to be soldered. Watch a youtube video. Make sure the iron is touching the pin for half a second and then touch with the solder wire. When the solder flows remove solder wire and iron. The result should look like a little volcano with nice slopes. Wait for a second before moving to the next pin. The heat needs to radiate away from the PCB.

Use a wire to train a few times before you solder the Arduino. Touch the wire with the iron and then with the solder wire. Repeat a few times.

it’s not complicated if you have the right tools. just requires a bit of attention and there are many youTube videos showing you how to solder correctly :slight_smile: if you are a visual learner

here is a random one

Thanks, ill give it a try. Is this one still salvageable after doing this poor job?

It would have been bad if you set D13 as output and LOW because then you would have had a direct connexion from 3.3V to ground - a short circuit.

Pins are set as INPUT (high impedance) by default so probably OK if you did not do anything with that pin - just remove the D13 soldering that is touching 3.3V and start again

Yes, make sure there is little to no solder on the iron and just touch the bad solder spot. The iron will remove some of the solder and some will solder the pin.

Thanks both :slight_smile: will update after im done…

have fun - time to go to bed here :wink:

no luck… could it be that the soldering job is so poor it didnt help?
is it a fair assumption to think that if i had damaged the board, the power light would not turn on?

One leg of the resistor for the led needs to plug into row 11 where the red wire goes. See this tutorial for what holes in the breadboard are connected to others.
https://learn.digilentinc.com/Documents/127